Sage TV = Google TV

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
rdy2go

HTPC Specs: Show details

Sage TV = Google TV

Post by rdy2go » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Not sure how I missed this one but Google bought SageTV last month. Kinda brings new life into a system that I never liked, article below.

http://www.technologyreview.com/web/37883/?p1=A2&a=f

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:57 pm

There have been a few topics on this and other forums already which is likely why you haven't seen a response here. Oldish news until Google releases new information. The sage forums were going nuts since people could no longer order extenders or buy licenses.
Greg

rdy2go

Post by rdy2go » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:53 pm

My fault for not checking

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Sage TV ≠ Google TV

All the signs point to google completly ending any development or updates to sagetv including ceaseing any sales of sage tv extenders. Noone seems to have any idea on the sagetv forums about what the future holds bar a loose promise to porovide guide data for one more year.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:43 am

I have to disagree. I don't think "all the signs" point to anything right now. It's just too early to tell. Do I think Google will sell SageTV as we knew it? No. Do I think Google will try to morph SageTV into something new? Yes. I fully expect to see Google developing some sort of GoogleTV/SageTV hybrid product in the future.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:44 pm

You got in before me. I would love to know what these signs are personally. Can you elaborate pls Fleadh?
Rich

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:58 pm

I only know what Ive read on the sagetv forums, you'll have to read the threads there.

The fact that they have shut the shop are not selling any new licences and stopped selling extenders speaks for itself.

Its phrases like this that are also telling : Although we will be shutting down the SageTV store, we will continue to support existing users.

That a End of production product statment which looks to be EOL's after one year by googles statement that tehy will support teh epg for one more year.

When yahoo bought meedio they killed it so this has precedent.

Some of teh technology will be used by google for their own products but sage tv is no more and google tv wont be a rebranded continuation of the product.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks! It certainly doesn't bode well if all that's true (and remains true of course)!
Rich