DVR options for OTA

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
yesrod1972

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by yesrod1972 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:04 pm

mdavej wrote:I think the Stream+ that just hit the street is another one to consider. Biggest drawback is you have to buy a pretty hefty microSD for DVR storage. Supposedly USB storage is coming later. Otherwise, a great low cost alternative to a Shield/Plex/Homerun/NAS combo. Plus it's Android so could run a host of other streaming apps. Not sure how whole home streaming of recording would work though.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm

I pre-ordered one to play with. Even if the DVR falls short (hope it doesn't), it's as capable as a similarly priced Fire TV box for streaming.
Like you, I too had pre-ordered not only one, but two of these bombs. I really thought this thing was going to be the bee's knees instead it is more and more becoming a lemon's turd. I as of yet to get the OTA DVR functionality to work on either of them. I have reformatted the microSD cards several times, also tried USB external drives, and even factory re-installed the unit to no avail. The unit as a whole seems more like a testing Beta device than a full market-ready unit. Thank God, I had pre-ordered these at the low discounted price and only flushed $200 down the drain.Channel Master tech support is the ultimate joke and is extremely limited in helping you with anything short of the basic information that in yahoo could figure out or already knew. The lacking availability to add Netflix and Amazon prime apps are very displeasing to say the least and having to work around using these apps through a secondary device and casting it to your TV is cumbersome. Bottom-line, I do not recommend this unit for purchase by anyone. In the end I guess it is somewhat filling the need from cutting the cord form satellite, but I am sure there are better and more useful options.

mdavej

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mdavej » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 am

@yesrod1972, Mine is also pretty terrible. But I have at least loaded Netflix, Amazon and a few other apps, making it a bit more tolerable.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv- ... st56053604