Using Plex as a DVR?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
CXK

HTPC Specs: Show details

Using Plex as a DVR?

Post by CXK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:44 pm

I'm using this outage as a great time to work on and reformat my aging server. Its been running in the closet with no maintenance other than blowing the dust out every few months. I've strongly been toying with moving to Plex since they started allowing TV recording. The biggest issue I need to buy new HDhomerun tuners. Anyone had experience with Plex TV recording? Is it worth the investment? I know this is a Media Center forum but the service is so dead and I'm finding myself paying for Hulu to be able to watch things on something other than my 360. Plex could work on just about any device in my house.

[Moderator note: topic split from guide data outage thread]

Octavean

Post by Octavean » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:36 am

CXK wrote:I'm using this outage as a great time to work on and reformat my aging server. Its been running in the closet with no maintenance other than blowing the dust out every few months. I've strongly been toying with moving to Plex since they started allowing TV recording. The biggest issue I need to buy new HDhomerun tuners. Anyone had experience with Plex TV recording? Is it worth the investment? I know this is a Media Center forum but the service is so dead and I'm finding myself paying for Hulu to be able to watch things on something other than my 360. Plex could work on just about any device in my house.
I run Plex as something of an experiment and quasi backup for my main Media Center system. It's OK but still in beta and very much deserving of that monicker. Microsoft Media Center is the most feature rich and most power DVR I know of. We can all search for other solutions but they all seem primitive in comparison IMO.

Plex DVR is full of bugs, design limitations and oddities. I'm sure the same is true of SiliconDust's HDHomeRun DVR software and many other such solutions.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:52 am

Octavean wrote:
CXK wrote:I'm using this outage as a great time to work on and reformat my aging server. Its been running in the closet with no maintenance other than blowing the dust out every few months. I've strongly been toying with moving to Plex since they started allowing TV recording. The biggest issue I need to buy new HDhomerun tuners. Anyone had experience with Plex TV recording? Is it worth the investment? I know this is a Media Center forum but the service is so dead and I'm finding myself paying for Hulu to be able to watch things on something other than my 360. Plex could work on just about any device in my house.
I run Plex as something of an experiment and quasi backup for my main Media Center system. It's OK but still in beta and very much deserving of that monicker. Microsoft Media Center is the most feature rich and most power DVR I know of. We can all search for other solutions but they all seem primitive in comparison IMO.

Plex DVR is full of bugs, design limitations and oddities. I'm sure the same is true of SiliconDust's HDHomeRun DVR software and many other such solutions.
Damn!!! I didn't know Plex enabled a DVR service.........hopefully it matures, same with SiliconDust's option. Sad to say but WMC has been around for a LONG time without really any enhancements and is still the best. Why can't someone pick up the ball?