Xfinity App as WMC Replacement?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
dabretty

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xfinity App as WMC Replacement?

Post by dabretty » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:01 am

Just curious if anyone has been paying attention to FCC changes and Comcast announcements about "cable TV without the cable box"? Supposedly they're rolling out a Roku app in the next few weeks as sort of a beta.

I'll be curious to see how beefy and widespread they make these apps, including DVR integration. As a guy that strung up Ethernet cabling all through the house, I'd welcome any TV broadcast method that doesn't necessitate coax to each TV. My WMC setup - and a large one that I remotely maintain at my in-laws - is starting to show its age. With less and less time between family and work, I'm looking at options with a higher WAF (and HDHR DVR appears to be anything but).

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Charter has had a similar app for over a year now. It's live TV only (no on-demand, no DVR), so essentially just a cable box replacement, not DVR replacement. DirecTV NOW, SlingTV and upcoming Hulu live TV services work the same way. Supposedly DVR service is coming to those eventually.

A few services like PS Vue already have a cloud DVR (30 day limit) that works pretty well. You still can't skip a lot of commercials.

I've tried all of the above except Hulu since it doesn't exist yet. My favorite is PS Vue. Like most services, it has no local channels, so I use a Tivo OTA DVR for that (could use HD Homerun DVR or some other similar OTA DVR software instead). I'm fairly satisfied with my current combination.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:30 am

mdavej wrote:My favorite is PS Vue. Like most services, it has no local channels, so I use a Tivo OTA DVR for that (could use HD Homerun DVR or some other similar OTA DVR software instead).
The basic package includes CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:26 am

If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale. Only in very few cities do they have locals. In most markets, you need OTA for those, my rather large market included. Also, no PBS which is at least half of all my viewing.

ucfknight

Post by ucfknight » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:35 pm

dabretty wrote:Just curious if anyone has been paying attention to FCC changes and Comcast announcements about "cable TV without the cable box"? Supposedly they're rolling out a Roku app in the next few weeks as sort of a beta.

I'll be curious to see how beefy and widespread they make these apps, including DVR integration. As a guy that strung up Ethernet cabling all through the house, I'd welcome any TV broadcast method that doesn't necessitate coax to each TV. My WMC setup - and a large one that I remotely maintain at my in-laws - is starting to show its age. With less and less time between family and work, I'm looking at options with a higher WAF (and HDHR DVR appears to be anything but).
With the new anti-consumer, pro-cable-company FCC chair, don't hold your breath for any innovations in allowing future home-brew DVR solutions.

The app Comcast released for Roku would have been free if the previous commission had been able to pass their proposal in time. The new FCC make-up killed any talk of the "free app to access programming on customer's own equipment" requirement. Comcast has now released the Roku app which will be free in beta, but they are going to charge for it when it reaches RTM,

Right now Comcast charges around $10 per month for each "additional digital outlet" (i.e. TV) you have in your house where you have a Comcast box connected to view digital cable. With the Roku app they are still going to charge you a $10 per month fee for every TV you are using a "box" to view digital cable on, but they will generously give you a $2.50 "customer owned equipment" discount for using your own box instead of theirs. So you will have the privilege of paying $7.50 per month for every TV you have your own Roku hooked up to in order to watch the cable programming you are already paying for. What a deal!

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:13 pm

I'm a former WMC enthusiast who switched to Xfinity and have the Roku app working. User experience - Fantastic. As good as WMC was back in it's prime. Company experience- Comcast is horrible. Not as bad as it was 10 years ago, but calling Satan a little bit better isn't saying much. I'll likely pay the 7.50 to use my Roku once it comes out of beta. It really works well.