Cheap clear QAM DVR?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.

Cheap clear QAM DVR?

Post#1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi Gang!

It has been quite awhile, and I sure do miss the community here!

So, I have the need for a DVR that can support "clear QAM". I'd love something OOTB, like a TiVo or Channelmaster, but I wanted to get some opinions on options. Certainly building a 7MC box is an option, but I'd like to hear what else there currently is.

I've been away from the HTPC space for quite some time now.
User avatar
woodchuck
 
Posts: 332
Joined: 14 June 2011
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#2 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:37 pm

Homeworx and iView both run around $30 and work fine. But they are very bare bones, using only PSIP guide data and not very feature rich. If you want anything near your WMC experience though, stick with Tivo (Roamio OTA including lifetime $370) or CM ($300). With Tivo, you get a better interface and 2 additional tuners.

Plex now has DVR software that can run on an Nvidia Shield with HD Homerun tuners, and Silicon Dust has similar software in beta. Buying a Shield plus a tuner plus a drive would run you more than a CM.

Having said that, unless you're on some private system like a university or certain apartment complexes, I wouldn't invest much in a clear QAM solution, as that likely go away very soon. Tivo would be the most future proof, giving you QAM, OTA or encrypted cable capability all in the same device.
mdavej
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: 20 August 2012

Post#3 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:30 pm

mdavej wrote:Homeworx and iView both run around $30 and work fine.


Actually those are perfect. I just need something that will work like an old VCR use to work, no need for 7MC fanciness. Start time, Stop time, record.

Thanks mdavej!
User avatar
woodchuck
 
Posts: 332
Joined: 14 June 2011
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#4 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:38 pm

woodchuck wrote:Hi Gang!

It has been quite awhile, and I sure do miss the community here!

So, I have the need for a DVR that can support "clear QAM". I'd love something OOTB, like a TiVo or Channelmaster, but I wanted to get some opinions on options. Certainly building a 7MC box is an option, but I'd like to hear what else there currently is.

I've been away from the HTPC space for quite some time now.


Tablo might be worth looking at. There is a hardware cost and a guide date subscription. Not sure what you are considering cheap.

https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/
User avatar
mcewinter
 
Posts: 973
Joined: 30 June 2011
Location: Chicago
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#5 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:53 pm

woodchuck wrote:
mdavej wrote:Homeworx and iView both run around $30 and work fine.


Actually those are perfect. I just need something that will work like an old VCR use to work, no need for 7MC fanciness. Start time, Stop time, record.

Thanks mdavej!
Post back what model you're considering because only certain models, firmwares and versions will do QAM.
mdavej
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: 20 August 2012

Post#6 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:42 am

I'm going to give an IVIEW 3200STB a try.
User avatar
woodchuck
 
Posts: 332
Joined: 14 June 2011
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#7 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:47 pm

That should work fine. I have an older iView I've been using for QAM for about 4 years now. Be aware you'll have to supply your own hard drive for it.
mdavej
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: 20 August 2012

Post#8 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:46 pm

mdavej wrote:That should work fine. I have an older iView I've been using for QAM for about 4 years now. Be aware you'll have to supply your own hard drive for it.


Have you tried using a USB flash drive? Or should I just plan to buy a real HDD?
User avatar
woodchuck
 
Posts: 332
Joined: 14 June 2011
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#9 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:56 pm

I've never tried a flash drive myself because I don't have any very large ones. But I've read about others who have with mixed results. It's probably worth a shot.
mdavej
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: 20 August 2012


Return to The Green Button Lounge



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron