Wow it's getting really quiet in TGB

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.

Wow it's getting really quiet in TGB

Post#1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Really sad actually.
HTBruceM
 
Posts: 85
Joined: 22 December 2012
Location: Oregon
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#2 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:02 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:D
dkrom
 
Posts: 137
Joined: 17 November 2014

Post#3 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 pm

We knew this would be the way. The purpose of this forum was to help what was left. It has enough relevant information in it to be helpful and a nice place for EPG123 to have started its journey.
User avatar
STC
 
Posts: 6775
Joined: 6 June 2011
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB VeteranStaff
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Post#4 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:40 pm

what a ride its been. I thought Comcast switch to H.264 and also rovi would be its end. but here i am with WMC and extenders in most rooms going strong. It still works for its core purpose photos, music, and DVR. I think with EPG123 it has been saved once again. We shall see for how long.
User avatar
spanner
 
Posts: 231
Joined: 6 June 2011
Location: Corbett Oregon USA
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#5 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:39 am

I hate to bring this up, but with Rovi owning TiVo, what's to stop them from no longer providing guide data to Microsoft in order to "force" those last few WMC users to buy a TiVo device?

Also, Gracenote is not very healthy either... they can pull the plug at some point in the future as well, then what? No Microsoft/Rovi, no Schedules Direct/ Gracenote.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it is a possibility and I want everyone here to worry about it along with me :-)
Space
 
Posts: 812
Joined: 2 June 2013

Post#6 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Rovi/TiVo won't view Microsoft as a threat with WMC - since Rovi's business has been to provide the program guide data - and they do that to a much larger customer base than TiVo, seems very unlikely Rovi/TiVo would pull the plug on the WMC guide data. It's more likely Microsoft will decide at some point they can turn the guide data off - which could happen at any time, without any advanced notice.

Spanner - if you have Comcast H.264 in your area - are you using Xbox 360s to watch "premium" channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, ...)? Comcast is supposed to begin migrating to H.264 in our area next month - and if that breaks our WMC/Xbox 360 environment, we'll have to move to something else that does work - and at this point, if TiVo releases a 6 tuner Bolt - that's likely what we'll use.

It's surprising that even though Microsoft hasn't done any development on WMC since Windows 7 (and most of the development was really done for Vista), it is still the best DVR available today. SD is trying to get into the market, but is far behind for a "whole home DVR". Comcast has made a lot of progress with their X1 DVR, and they've done a nice job integrating their streaming and On Demand services into the same interface, but as a DVR, it still has restrictions and it's a closed environment that has restrictions on playback navigation and doesn't allow access to your personal media.

TiVo appears to be the closest (at least for those of us needing DRM) and with the new features they added in their Bolt line last year, they're even providing semi-automatic commercial skipping - which is the first time we've seen that in a "commercial" DVR since we purchased our SonicBlue ReplayTV many years ago (that was also a great product - for its time).

It's really unfortunate that Microsoft didn't view WMC as a large enough market for them to continue developing products. Like with their early Windows Mobile PDAs, they were far ahead of the market - and squandered the opportunity to be the market leader today.

Really sad...
bob_p
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 8 July 2011

Post#7 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:38 pm

bob_p wrote:Rovi/TiVo won't view Microsoft as a threat with WMC - since Rovi's business has been to provide the program guide data - and they do that to a much larger customer base than TiVo, seems very unlikely Rovi/TiVo would pull the plug on the WMC guide data. It's more likely Microsoft will decide at some point they can turn the guide data off - which could happen at any time, without any advanced notice.

Spanner - if you have Comcast H.264 in your area - are you using Xbox 360s to watch "premium" channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, ...)? Comcast is supposed to begin migrating to H.264 in our area next month - and if that breaks our WMC/Xbox 360 environment, we'll have to move to something else that does work - and at this point, if TiVo releases a 6 tuner Bolt - that's likely what we'll use.

It's surprising that even though Microsoft hasn't done any development on WMC since Windows 7 (and most of the development was really done for Vista), it is still the best DVR available today. SD is trying to get into the market, but is far behind for a "whole home DVR". Comcast has made a lot of progress with their X1 DVR, and they've done a nice job integrating their streaming and On Demand services into the same interface, but as a DVR, it still has restrictions and it's a closed environment that has restrictions on playback navigation and doesn't allow access to your personal media.

TiVo appears to be the closest (at least for those of us needing DRM) and with the new features they added in their Bolt line last year, they're even providing semi-automatic commercial skipping - which is the first time we've seen that in a "commercial" DVR since we purchased our SonicBlue ReplayTV many years ago (that was also a great product - for its time).

It's really unfortunate that Microsoft didn't view WMC as a large enough market for them to continue developing products. Like with their early Windows Mobile PDAs, they were far ahead of the market - and squandered the opportunity to be the market leader today.

Really sad...


Yes Comcast went to H.264 in my area. I currently have three xbox 360's and two echos. the switch made my Linksys 2100's unusable for all but a few local channels. As far as premium channels, I only have HBO. HBO works fine on my main HTPC (after replacing onboard Intel with a AMD graphics Card) and I use the xbox 360 "hbo go" app for watching all Extender HBO content. not quite as convenient as before, but at least it is on the same hardware and It didn't require a new box.
User avatar
spanner
 
Posts: 231
Joined: 6 June 2011
Location: Corbett Oregon USA
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#8 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:10 pm

HTBruceM wrote:Really sad actually.


thread title made me remember this one:

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/94q4/notyouagain.html
adam1991
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: 11 June 2011

Post#9 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:30 pm

It only got quieter since Barnabas1969 got the boot. It would be interesting to hear from him.
User avatar
mcewinter
 
Posts: 971
Joined: 30 June 2011
Location: Chicago
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#10 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:09 am

Well that's nice....

:wink:
User avatar
STC
 
Posts: 6775
Joined: 6 June 2011
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB VeteranStaff
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Post#11 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:16 am

adam1991 wrote:
HTBruceM wrote:Really sad actually.


thread title made me remember this one:

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/94q4/notyouagain.html


Did anyone question why the son was in the closet? Sounds like mom cant get enough.
User avatar
Crash2009
 
Posts: 3537
Joined: 17 May 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#12 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:51 pm

mcewinter wrote:It only got quieter since Barnabas1969 got the boot. It would be interesting to hear from him.


Boot? Apparently, I missed something.
User avatar
UCBearcat
 
Posts: 226
Joined: 28 January 2012
Location: Cincinnati
HTPC Specs: Show details
1+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#13 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 pm

UCBearcat wrote:
mcewinter wrote:It only got quieter since Barnabas1969 got the boot. It would be interesting to hear from him.


Boot? Apparently, I missed something.


viewtopic.php?p=81202&sid=1894f7520bc7eee1e3524118368e54fd#p81202

IMHO his abrasiveness unfortunately outweighed his expertise
RyC
 
Posts: 589
Joined: 21 August 2012

Post#14 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:54 am

I'm sure several of us still shadow the site like me. Lot's of us still use WMC but can't really contribute much.
manielse
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 28 January 2014

Post#15 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 pm

manielse wrote:I'm sure several of us still shadow the site like me. Lot's of us still use WMC but can't really contribute much.

Same here.

From my Up All Night Sleep All Day Gs7 on Tapatalk
Mpgrimm2
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 4 May 2012

Post#16 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Honestly my WMC is as stable and reliable as it has ever been, so I just don't have a lot of questions or need to be around here.

I still check the for sale boards occasionally.
LuckyDay
 
Posts: 584
Joined: 11 July 2011

Post#17 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:14 am

The end is near....

I have never run into so many dead-ends. A few years ago, everything I tried just absolutely worked.
Attachments
GrimReaper001.jpg
User avatar
Crash2009
 
Posts: 3537
Joined: 17 May 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#18 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:33 pm

I think i will be running WMC until Comcast stops support for cablecard. At that time I will put my OTA tuners back in and go over the air, and back it up with streaming, which i am already doing. I still see it as a pretty good whole house solution with the hardware paid for years ago. I can see it being worthwhile for several years to come.
User avatar
spanner
 
Posts: 231
Joined: 6 June 2011
Location: Corbett Oregon USA
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#19 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:30 am

Yea.. it's too bad it's quiet.. I loved the HEY day of WIndows Media Center... I was directly involved with Microsoft in WMC for Vista and Windows 7, bug bash winner many times (a lot of little bugs that you do not see today) and even got into some really COOL hardware betas that never came to light... Very cool stuff.. I also a MVP for Windows Media Center from 2010-2012... ah those were the days...

And at that time, as WMC (back in the old TGB) was a hot topic with hobbyists, along came all the basement 3rd party apps that really extended it and you could even go into some areas and request an app, and it would be made (normally a lot of interest). It was really great days and many ways to extend WMC to what you even see/expect in a modern DVR but, 5-10 years ago.

This site is a great resource and I still wish we could fully access the old TGB just for past info...

Trust me when I say it, I really do miss the golden days of WMC.... it was a great time :(
DavidinCT
 
Posts: 819
Joined: 13 February 2012
5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP


Return to The Green Button Lounge



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 3 guests

cron