Server software - what to use?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Server software - what to use?

Post by mcewinter » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:26 pm

I've been running WHS for years starting with V1. My WHS 2011 install is getting long in the tooth. As I'm moving away from the "HTPC" I'm going to shuffle some things around. I'm going to disassemble one of my PCs to repurpose some parts. I'm not sure if it'll make much of a difference but I want to equip my server with an SSD for the OS drive and move some hard drives around while I have things taken apart.

As I'm planning all of this out in my head, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps I should look at different server software. I could go with one of the many free options out there; I could go with windows 7 or 10 for what it's worth. Any input? What are you using these days for server software?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:52 pm

HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Can I install any apps on it, like Plex server or HdHomerun record engine?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:10 am

mcewinter wrote:Can I install any apps on it, like Plex server or HdHomerun record engine?
FreeNAS is basically FreeBSD with a GUI on top; it's primary purpose is a NAS operating system. There is a Plex Media Server download for FreeBSD. I doubt there is an HRHD app for FreeBSD.

If you want something other than Windows with some more flexibility, consider installing Linux (CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu).
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:16 pm

Through TechNet (before it went away), I was able to get a copy of Windows Server 2012 R2 - and installed that to replace WHS.

It supports the WHS backup features - plus has some additional benefits.

However, the "Essentials" software doesn't appear to have a large user community, so there haven't been many 3rd party apps developed for running Essentials on Windows Server 2012 R2.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:45 pm

I doesn't sound like there are any "exciting" alternatives. I guess I'll hang on to WHS 2011 for a little while longer; upgrading some of the hardware might all the refresh it needs.

I wish I had renewed my TechNet license before they did away with it, but as you said, there was never a large user base for Server 2012 so very little support.