Free and Office 365 OneDrive storage amount decreasing

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Free and Office 365 OneDrive storage amount decreasing

Post by Ed  » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:29 pm

Even for previous users :sick:
We’re no longer planning to offer unlimited storage to Office 365 Home, Personal, or University subscribers. Starting now, those subscriptions will include 1 TB of OneDrive storage.

100 GB and 200 GB paid plans are going away as an option for new users and will be replaced with a 50 GB plan for $1.99 per month in early 2016.

Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016.

We’re taking the following steps to make this transition as easy as possible for customers:

If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and have stored in excess of 1 TB, you will be notified of this change and will be able to keep your increased storage for at least 12 months.

If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and find that Office 365 no longer meets your needs, a pro-rated refund will be given. To learn more visit the FAQ.

If you are using more than 5 GB of free storage, you will continue to have access to all files for at least 12 months after these changes go into effect in early 2016. In addition, you can redeem a free one-year Office 365 Personal subscription (credit card required), which includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage.

Current customers of standalone OneDrive storage plans (such as a 100 or 200 GB plans) are not affected by these changes.
https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:21 pm

Stupidest thing they've done in a long time. Even after they (I would assume) reverse some of this (I'm sure they'll fit a discussion about it into some meeting in a week or so), some damage is already done. It's like they had no idea how much this reinforces the M$ perception they've been trying to reverse for years. And blaming it on some 'bad apples' is actually counterproductive in that regard.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Agree, the most insulting part is the degradation of the free accounts.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:15 pm

I hope it does not effect me, No office 365 here, I have had over 200GB for years. I like having the option of backing up things to the cloud... Oh, I checked 240gb, but, it does expire in 2017....crap, thought I had at least 100gb of that for life...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

STC

Post by STC » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:10 pm

Offering unlimited 365 cloud storage in the first place wasn't the most intelligent thing to do. Especially to uni subscribers lol. You don't need a crystal ball to imagine what would happen.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123