Upgrade time: Adding gaming to my HTPC and removing clutter

LuckyDay

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgrade time: Adding gaming to my HTPC and removing clutter

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 pm

About a year or so ago I completed my second (or third maybe) HTPC project and built a quiet and cheap cable card ready HTPC.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=15&t=710

Now it's time to upgrade, and here is the build log (and place for people to help me).

Current build:

- HEC Black ITX Case
- Gigabyte H67 USB3 MB
- Intel i3 2105 (using HD3000 for graphics)
- 8GB DDR3
- OCZ 30GB SSD drive for OS
- 640GB 2.5" HDD for recordings
- Slim DVDRW drive
- HD Homerun Prime (in another room)

What I want to do:

Two primary goals; remove all wires outside of the HDMI cable and power cable and add fairly high end gaming functionality to the rig for Steam Big Picture. Secondary is to keep it as quiet and low power as possible.

What I've got upgraded so far:

- Silverstone Aluminum/Steel HTPC case - Love this case, looks like it belongs near a TV, lots of room, good ventilation and it fits perfect where my old machine was (I only have 8" of clearance height to work with in that spot). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GG ... PDKIKX0DER

- Intel i3 3225 w/HD 4000 - dedicated GPU coming later but for now I can easily play just about anything on medium settings at 720p.

- Enermax Noisetaker 375w - Excellent PSU. Silent, low loads (rarely goes over 175w on current build, but new card will add more). Review on the Noisetaker series here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article149-page1.html

To be continued...

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Never mind I see your case takes atx power supplies.
Didn't check close enough.
Most peripherals you can use wirelessly,like keyboard and mouse.
You still may need to wire the audio.
Depends on the video card you use.
You may want more than a 375 watt power supply.
The system will only pull what it needs.
That enermax is also a dual rail.
Might want to look into a single rail power supply
so you don't run into overloading one of the rails.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:12 am

The PSU will be fine, I have run a 200w for the system for a couple of years now and it's never even been close to being taxed.

The components I have in my system now are like 125w if I were to run it at 100% usage on all of them.

For the video it's a low profile system, so I'll get something like the Radeon 7750, that adds about 55w. 375w is more than enough and nothing is going to draw more than 18A on a rail.

Honestly, power requirements are so overblown by people in regular usage it's silly. Most ATX systems even at heavy CPU/Vid usage rarely hit over 250w. It's been tested time and time again for years and people still think they need 850w or more to do anything.

I'll take reliable and efficient (and solid amp numbers on a rail) over big wattage numbers any day.

As for the wires, for audio I am just running through HDMI for now, I game with wireless headphones and my wife watches the bulk of TV, so we don't have any expensive audio set up.

I'm looking into bluetooth for some of the other accessories though, like mouse/keyboard.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:31 am

One thing I'm not crazy about is the lack of a 3.5 external on the case I've chosen. I'm looking around for another reasonably priced low profile case that would support an internal IR receiver, but haven't found many.

The Antec Fusion in black seems to be either out of stock or over $300 where I look.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:13 am

LuckyDay wrote:I'm looking into bluetooth for some of the other accessories though, like mouse/keyboard.
Wireless is fine, but my recommendation is to go with dedicated wireless--a kb/mouse combo that comes with its own tiny USB dongle--instead of Bluetooth. Such a kb/mouse will work all the time just like a wired kb, including at boot time, whereas Bluetooth requires the OS and its drivers to be loaded.

Also, BT mouse stuff is jerky IMNSHO. I don't like it one bit.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:19 am

Yeah, the more I read about it the more I figure I'll just get one of those RF mouse/keyboard combos.

I already have one, but it's an older one where the antenna is on a wire, so I really just need to replace it with the kind that has the micro USB attachment.

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:46 pm

I am using an antec veris elite VFD/remote unit which is working on windows 8.
It would need to go in the DVD drive bay,which would mean using an external
disk drive for yours as you case only has one mount.
Good point is that the veris elite can turn the computer on from complete shutdown,
has a timer that can turn the computer on,a program launcher and many more features.
The remote reciever is built into the display.
I use the program launcher to start XBMC and hulu desktop.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Yeah, I've got 30 days to play around with this case, I might return it if I find another case that works better.

The price was good, and so far I haven't found something I like better. The only way I would replace it would be if i found something that looked like it belonged in an entertainment stand, but also had a 3.5" and a 5.25" so I could get an internal receiver for the 3.5".

I looked into the Veris, but I think if I go internal for the receiver I'll more likely go with the case that already has it built in.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:49 pm

As someone who uses Steam Big Picture on his HTPC, get a wireless 360 controller for PC (if your games are compatible, otherwise no point lol)

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:12 pm

I do already have a wireless 360 pad. Bought the wireless receiver way back when they first release it and it's still going strong.

Hopefully it doesn't crap out though, I don't believe they make/sell them anymore and I don't want to buy a new controller for $60.

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12 am

If you are not looking for an integrated remote receiver
and want a case that looks like a stereo component,check out
some of nmedia's cases.
They look really nice,usually for a decent price.
The VFD module for their cases is extra,but the window is built in.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:30 am

Yeah, those look really nice. If I could find one that had an external 3.5" bay I may replace this one.

I can always get the Antec 3.5" receiver to put in that bay.

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:29 pm

An RF remote like you were talking about earlier should work.
It wouldn't have to be out in front of the computer.
If you didn't use the VFD in an nmedia case,you could probaby
setup an external remote receiver behind that little window.
Would probably want to use a pci card with an internal USB
connection to connect it so the cable doesn't hang out the back.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Ok, so I've narrowed down what I'll do, still undecided...

- Keep the Silverstone case (which I do like, and has worked out ok)

- Buy an Antec Fusion Remote (internal IR, plus LCD, but more money)

- Get an nMediaPC case and mount my USB receiver inside (good prices, but reviews are mixed on build quality)

Not sure yet. Will decide in the next couple of days after using the Silverstone and seeing how I like it. But the external receiver might bother me too much.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Ok, so I decided to go with the Antec Fusion Remote. Found someone with a used one for a good price. Now I can integrate the IR receiver and add a Blu-Ray/DVD burner combo I just got.