Charter just purchased TWC for 55B and BH for 10B

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
TeddyR

HTPC Specs: Show details

Charter just purchased TWC for 55B and BH for 10B

Post by TeddyR » Tue May 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Charter just paid $55Billion to purchase TimeWarnerCable and Brighthouse for $10Billion

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/201 ... /27940477/

I sure hope that TWCs draconian practices re copy protections and cablecard prices do not get adopted by Charter...
Time is on my side.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue May 26, 2015 8:36 pm

There's some hope...a few if not all BH areas are no longer all copy-once

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue May 26, 2015 8:45 pm

*pending regulatory approval

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Tue May 26, 2015 9:02 pm

If it passes my guess is the next will be a Cox/Cablevision merger....

For Charter (#4 in size) to have enough funds to buy TWC (#2 in size) must mean that they are really sticking it to the consumer and making boucoups loads of money...
Time is on my side.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:09 pm

TeddyR wrote:For Charter (#4 in size) to have enough funds to buy TWC (#2 in size) must mean that they are really sticking it to the consumer and making boucoups loads of money...
Charter doesn't have the money...they are borrowing it. Charter has been losing money for many years, and they even filed for bankruptcy a few years ago. TWC, on the other hand, has been raking in profits year after year.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue May 26, 2015 11:21 pm

I've been a Charter subscriber for the past 5 years. This will be very interesting. They were the first CableCO in southwest Michigan to go all digital and have by-far the most HD of any provider I know. They also have great packages. From what I've experienced, they decided to focus on getting all their infrastructure ready for all HD and high-speed internet before providing a lot of "bells and whistles". For example, they still have the oldest, crappiest DVR system of ANYTHING I've seen lately... (Old big silver Motorola 2 Tuner DVRs) They only just recently started streaming *SOME* channels... and their fastest internet is still only 60/4. They also use TAs (SDV) along with their CableCARDs (though that makes sense considering they nixed all their analog to get all their channels in HD).
BUT-- like I said, their Channel Lineup, for the price, blows Dish, DirecTV, & Comcast away.
Hopefully this deal will bring them full circle. I'm really hoping that since they are the last to have a decent whole-house DVR system, that it'll be better than X1, Hopper, or Genie... especially since WMC is nearing it's end of life.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Wed May 27, 2015 5:02 am

I have Charter and am satisfied with them (other than the pricing of the packages but that is the same issue with all cablecos and the items that you mention re: the old hardware.. but then that's why we have WMC/etc.. ). There was the initial issues with cablecard self-installs (but then, I was (one of, if not) the first at our office to get one... Had to bring with me a copy of the FCC ruling, a printout of the charter webpage with the self-install instructions, and talk to a manager to get it, but that was then)... I do wish that they bring back the "umatter2charter" team since they were able to help with and had the access to take care of some of the more exotic issues....
Time is on my side.