Xfinity X1

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
bob_p

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xfinity X1

Post by bob_p » Sat May 02, 2015 12:24 pm

Is anyone using SiliconDust or Ceton CableCard tuners when they also have an Xfinity X1 DVR?

The new Comcast claims that their recorded programs can be viewed remotely and even downloaded to devices for later viewing - is an interesting option, to use in addition to having WMC.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun May 03, 2015 6:37 am

I also have the X1 as it came part of the 2 year deal I agreed to, when I moved about 6 months back. The X1 box is currently sitting in the closet. I liked the overall GUI for it, but the 500 GB drive wasn't going to be enough.

By chance, do you have a link to the Comcast claims?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun May 03, 2015 6:42 am

choliscott wrote:I also have the X1 as it came part of the 2 year deal I agreed to, when I moved about 6 months back. The X1 box is currently sitting in the closet. I liked the overall GUI for it, but the 500 GB drive wasn't going to be enough.

By chance, do you have a link to the Comcast claims?
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-su ... load-faqs/

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sun May 03, 2015 11:56 am

choliscott wrote:I also have the X1 as it came part of the 2 year deal I agreed to, when I moved about 6 months back. The X1 box is currently sitting in the closet. I liked the overall GUI for it, but the 500 GB drive wasn't going to be enough.
Do you have the X1 service turned on? Comcast appears to claim CableCards aren't supported when X1 is enabled.

Does anyone have CableCard tuners running along with an X1 DVR?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun May 03, 2015 4:46 pm

Yes, the X1 service is still turned on. In fact, I have 2 cable cards running and no problems getting them, etc.

My ex is running the X1 and also has a 2nd cable card for her Ceton and no issues what so ever

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Mon May 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Anyone else confirm they have both X1 and CableCard running?

Since every time I contact Comcast, they claim CableCards won't work if X1 is enabled - I'm reluctant to make the switch (even though it's included for free in my cable package) until I'm confident this will work... Because I don't want to be paying Comcast for cable boxes for each of my TVs (to replace my network of Xbox 360s).

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:48 am

I can confirm X1 and a Ceton PCIe6/cable card worked at the same time while I had this setup for about 2-4 weeks. I then turned in the X1 system once I confirmed my WMC setup was stable.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:05 pm

On Monday, I went to the Comcast website and connected to an online chat session - and after their support person confirmed I can have CableCard devices working with the X1 server, I set up an appointment to install an X1 DVR in two weeks.

While my preference is to use WMC or the SD DVR software (if it is functional enough to be a WMC replacement), having X1 available (at no additional charge) can't hurt - and if there is an extended outage of the WMC program guide again, I'll have a fallback.

Will post my experience here with the X1 install in 2 weeks.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:04 pm

bob_p wrote:On Monday, I went to the Comcast website and connected to an online chat session - and after their support person confirmed I can have CableCard devices working with the X1 server, I set up an appointment to install an X1 DVR in two weeks.

While my preference is to use WMC or the SD DVR software (if it is functional enough to be a WMC replacement), having X1 available (at no additional charge) can't hurt - and if there is an extended outage of the WMC program guide again, I'll have a fallback.

Will post my experience here with the X1 install in 2 weeks.

Any updates on how the install went and/or how you like the X1 system compared to WMC?

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:06 pm

The install went surprisingly well - so it's not clear why Comcast requires a technician to install the X1 box vs. doing a self install...

Pulled the old STB from the DVR rack and slid in the new X1 DVR into the same position. I have three cable card tuners on the same splitter - and the technician didn't change any of the wiring. The technician checked the signal strength and said it was a "little low" but didn't do anything about it. [A later check showed the HDHR's were seeing signal strength in the 80-90% range, so I added an amplifier to get it back up to 100%.]

The new X1 DVR remote appears to be Bluetooth, supporting both line-of-sight IR and non-line-of-sight via BT.

My existing CableCard devices have continued to run after X1 was turned on, and I added a new CableCard for an SD HDHR tuner I received through their Kickstarter DVR program.

After having a very poor user interface on their cable boxes for many years (decades?), the X1 interface is a considerable step forward. Though, based on my early testing, WMC is still a better solution for watching live and recordedTV. Probably the biggest advantage of X1 is that it hides the difference between watching/recording programs from the guide and pulling them from Comcast's On Demand library. For example, if you see a movie in the guide that has already started, you have the option to watch the movie from the beginning.

But this doesn't appear to work with broadcast TV shows. But, if you forget to record a TV show and play it later from their On Demand library, X1 appears to disable all navigation (ff/rew, skip) - forcing you to watch the program in "real-time" along with all of the commercials. Though if you record the show using the DVR, you get the navigation tools.

Not clear why Comcast has been so reluctant to encourage CableCard customers to install X1...