New Service (Cablecard Only?)

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
dellybelly

HTPC Specs: Show details

New Service (Cablecard Only?)

Post by dellybelly » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:59 pm

I'm on FIOS right now; but the mutiliated their mid-tier package in our area bout 6 months ago. Is there a way to get new service from Comcast with just a cable card? I'm assuming i'd miss out on any and all promos but the mid-tier Comcast package includes a lot more channels than FIOS does; ie NFL Network, FXX etc. FIOS wants you to go to the extreme level just for those and a few other channels.

I'm guessing it may require a call to Comcast instead of online?

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:03 pm

I've had Comcast for several years with just a cablecard, not sure which package, but I don't use any of their equipment. Apart from no on-demand, it's the same as anything else. When you call I would just tell them you have a Tivo and want a card.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Comcast's official position appears to be that their new X1 service is not compatible with cablecard, though there are online comments of some customers who claim they've been able to get X1 and cablecard to work together.

Comcast provides a free STB with my service - which I could use for "on demand" programming - but there are now so many streaming alternatives, I haven't yet used their STB to pay for an "on demand" program.

I've had Comcast for many years - and have 4 cablecards (2 Silicondust, 1 Ceton, and a Sony XBR with built-in cablecard tuner) plus Xboxes for TVs outside of the "media room" - and that combination has worked great with Comcast, with only an occasional need to have Comcast send a "refresh" signal to reinitialize the cablecards (probably after they've done some system work in my area).

dellybelly

Post by dellybelly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks for the information; I guess ill give them a call and see what they say. I know it's never going to happen but being able to sign up online with a double play with only a cablecard would be awesome.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Should be able to use double play with only a cablecard. If they include a "free" STB, you don't have to connect it - though it may be useful to have around, in case you ever need to troubleshoot and verify problems are with the Comcast signal - and not your cablecard tuner.

werds

Post by werds » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:09 pm

What I did was sign up for service, let the installer install service using their set top box, next day I picked up a cable card and returned the set top box to the local office.

Been set top free since then. And as for as On Demand - I remember you used to be able to view it directly online on their website, and I also use the Xfinity app on Xbox 360 for on demand content... which is maybe twice in the last 3 years?