TWC Complete Los Angeles Digital Rebuild total encryption

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
JohnW248

HTPC Specs: Show details

TWC Complete Los Angeles Digital Rebuild total encryption

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:48 pm

Time Warner Cable completed the Los Angeles Digital rebuild on Nov 18. At that time they said there would be no clear QAM available. There have now been two serious problems since that conversion.

On December 2, 2014 at least in the West Valley region (Chatsworth Headend) the PBS stations starting appearing with a CCI 0x02, copy once. You could no longer share those recordings with other machines or edit extraneous material (endless pledge break begging) from a show. I opened a ticket with TWC CableCARD support on Dec 3 when I found I couldn't open the wtv for American Masters in Videoredo because of the protection. Then on Dec 4, 2014 all the broadcast channels appeared with CCI 0x02 as well. This means all independent channels retransmitted from OTA and network stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) are marked as copy once. No more commercial skips, etc.

I updated my Ticket with TWC CC Support on Friday with the new observation.

So check your CCI on TWC if you are in Los Angeles area and if copy freely stations are now restricted, please call and report to the National CableCARD support line. If they don't resolve it quickly, we'll have to file a complaint with the FCC. They can encrypt the entire package but they cannot mark PBS and OTA channels as copy once.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:16 pm

I guess MB3 is not going to do very well in your neighborhood. Next thing you know they'll be encrypting the internet.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:22 pm

I've reached out to TWC to determine if this is a policy change or an error. In most (all?) areas, TWC has modified their channel maps so that you will get the HD channel always - even if you tune the SD channel number. This may explain why the other channels are CCI 0x02

Regarding the OTA channels, are they now encrypted, or still ClearQAM?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 am

It looks right now as of 8PM Dec 8 2014 that TWC has responded to the ticket about copy protection on OTA retransmissions and public broadcasting changing them back to copy free. Still a lot of lock down on this cable system, more than any other and all signals are encrypted and require either a STB, cableCARD or DTA to get service.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:23 am

erkotz wrote:I've reached out to TWC to determine if this is a policy change or an error. In most (all?) areas, TWC has modified their channel maps so that you will get the HD channel always - even if you tune the SD channel number. This may explain why the other channels are CCI 0x02

There is no clear QAM on the system here. As of Nov 18 they removed all clear QAM and require either STB, CableCARD or DTA for tv service (no wall to TV). As of this evening they appear to have corrected this and thus it appears it was an error. Now the OTA Retransmission and public broadcast are back to copy free. They have changed the way the copy protection appears, in the past on the Web Gui the copy protection would be blank or none, now it appears as copy protection copy free.

Maybe some new equipment as a final stage of the new build out here with the MAXX internet speed upgrade and dropping all NTSC and encrypting all TV signals.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:16 am

JohnW248 wrote: (no wall to TV)
It's been that way for a year or 2 in 48103.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:54 pm

erkotz wrote:I've reached out to TWC to determine if this is a policy change or an error. In most (all?) areas, TWC has modified their channel maps so that you will get the HD channel always - even if you tune the SD channel number. This may explain why the other channels are CCI 0x02

I can attest that tuning an SD channel re-tunes the HD channel when using CableCard. (been doing this for awhile here in Cincy) I found this out the hard way when I used the Silicondust app on my tablet. I tried tuning the SD channel for ESPN, and it kept tuning to the HD channel. (Prime+tablet app+HD channels = not supported)

Glad to hear that they corrected the OTA copy flags. I'm not looking forward to the changes here (assuming the Comcast/TWC/Charter ClusterF*** doesn't happen first). I still have one TV plugged in w/ coax (no cable box).

malong335

Post by malong335 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:19 pm

UCBearcat wrote:I can attest that tuning an SD channel re-tunes the HD channel when using CableCard. (been doing this for awhile here in Cincy) I found this out the hard way when I used the Silicondust app on my tablet. I tried tuning the SD channel for ESPN, and it kept tuning to the HD channel. (Prime+tablet app+HD channels = not supported)

Glad to hear that they corrected the OTA copy flags. I'm not looking forward to the changes here (assuming the Comcast/TWC/Charter ClusterF*** doesn't happen first). I still have one TV plugged in w/ coax (no cable box).
Very interesting. I haven't seen that in Dayton yet. I don't use the Silicondust app very often, but I'm pretty sure that the SD channels still tune here on my CableCard system.