Classic TWC bait and switch

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
jziggity

HTPC Specs: Show details

Classic TWC bait and switch

Post by jziggity » Thu May 22, 2014 4:33 pm

So I had to call TWC (again) for the 2nd time in 6 days regarding problems with my bill. It's a good thing they make it so easy to check my balance and view my bill online (one of the few things they get right these days). I am looking at a holiday card sitting on the desk in front of me, which thanks me for being a loyal customer, and as their way of saying thanks... blah blah blah, have 3 free months of Shotime, on us. Ok, sounds good to me. I go online to activate, enter in the code, and viola, it works. Clearly printed on the bottom of the card is: "After 3 months, your complimentary gift expires and SHOWTIME will be automatically removed from your account. No need to cancel." Too good to be true? That's because it is!!! :twisted:

Sure enough, after the trial period expires, what shows up on my bill? A $12.99 charge for Showtime. Of course, TWC. This is soooooo very classic you. (This is the Milwaukee WI market by the way, although I doubt that matters.) So, call them up, tell them they can go ahead and take that surreptitious charge off right away. "Yes sir, no problem, we will remove that for you." So, I give them a few days for the change to show up on my account, and I check online again today...

What's this, another seemingly random charge on my account, this time it's a $1.66 charge for "Additional Outlet Service." TWC can @#%! me sideways at this point. Call them back, "Yes sir, we will remove that for you." Why did that randomly show up, is my natural follow-up question? "It was an error." No #@%! Sherlock.

So, just another classic example of why, with TWC, you have to watch your bill EVERY MONTH. You never know what they might try to slip on there.

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » Fri May 23, 2014 1:02 pm

When Comcast buys TWC, you will long for the days when a $1.66 overcharge got your shorts in a twist. :lol:

Just saying.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Why is everyone always playing the viola?

Or, did you mean "voila"?

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri May 23, 2014 1:56 pm

For every one of you, there are ten people who don't pay attention to their bills, making this a profitable strategy. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call Verizon wireless when they've secretly changed the bill and charged extras and screwed up the billing process- always in their favor.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:21 pm

makryger wrote:For every one of you, there are ten people who don't pay attention to their bills, making this a profitable strategy. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call Verizon wireless when they've secretly changed the bill and charged extras and screwed up the billing process- always in their favor.
This.

Nothing in my life--nothing--is autopay. You send me a bill, and I will decide whether to send you money as well as how much.

It's lazy Gen Y that allowed this behavior to begin. "Hey, nobody wants to work at their lives anymore, so what happens if we just throw stuff onto their bills/credit cards?" And suddenly billions of dollars started flowing in, a couple dollars at a time.

How many times have I seen people scream about how they've been "ripped off" by their cable companies--only to read further and find out that their bills were on autopay and they've been paying some extra amount, sometimes significant, for the last 24+ months? Then they expect sympathy from the reading audience as they whine about how "Comcast would only credit back for the last two months, saying that I was responsible for reading my bill!! Whaaaa!"

Nowadays I have to fight the 20 somethings who man the cash registers of the world, who don't have even the basic grasp that a customer might want a copy of his credit card receipt. More and more I watch as the sweet young thing slams my card through, hits a button, and then rushes off--and I have to be loud and pretty much fight for a copy of my receipt. Yes, sweetheart, I do want that receipt, because I keep them and compare them to my statement every month. The very concept of taking the time to do that is beyond so many people nowadays.

I have no sympathy for people who don't look at their bills before they pay them, for people who just blindly pay any charge that anyone puts in front of them.

Several years ago I got an $8.99 "subscription" charge on a credit card. Huh, I don't recognize that one. And the phone number on the charge was missing the last two digits. The CC company took it off for me, but another one went through the next month. Same thing. Then the next month--and at that point the CC company said the only way to fix this was to report my card stolen and get me a new card. They were not interested in WHO was sending this charge through; they only cared that they wouldn't continue to remove the charge. Turned out this was a huge scam, millions of people were caught up in this, but the CC companies didn't care. It was income to them for every one of those charges that got paid. As far as I know, this scammer was never caught.

Watch your statements, and make sure they're right. And don't whine about "oh, that takes time and effort!" If you want to be that lazy, be prepared to pay heavily for the privilege.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue May 27, 2014 4:04 pm

adam1991 wrote: Nowadays I have to fight the 20 somethings who man the cash registers of the world, who don't have even the basic grasp that a customer might want a copy of his credit card receipt. More and more I watch as the sweet young thing slams my card through, hits a button, and then rushes off--and I have to be loud and pretty much fight for a copy of my receipt. Yes, sweetheart, I do want that receipt, because I keep them and compare them to my statement every month. The very concept of taking the time to do that is beyond so many people nowadays.
I know it is lost art, and probably not necessary anymore, but ask the same 20-something to balance a checkbook. :-)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:17 am

Well, given that she can't give change unless the register tells her how much to give back, my guess is she would blow a gasket if asked to balance a checkbook. "Why? The bank tells me how much I have, every time I use the ATM."

Want to give her an aneurism? Buy something worth $11.54, then give her a twenty, two singles, and four pennies and stand there waiting for her to make change. You'll shut the whole store down for a week.

[Moderator note: off-topic comments moved--> http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 621#p75621]