Cisco TA Conspiracy Theory

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
PlainEric

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cisco TA Conspiracy Theory

Post by PlainEric » Wed May 21, 2014 11:41 pm

With the miniaturization of many current electronic products, does anyone else get the feeling that the size of the Cisco 1520 TAs is purposely made to be large and clunky? It has been SEVERAL years now that the TAs have been made available, and yet no attempt to reduce the size of these units.
+++H0
"You don't become a failure until you're satisfied with being one. "

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:40 pm

I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that the Cisco TA is a re-purposed old standard-definition cable box. The blog/article/forum (I can't remember where I read it) said that Cisco/SA had a warehouse full of the things, so they just loaded new firmware on them to act as a Tuning Adapter.

I don't know if that's true, but that's what I read somewhere.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:41 pm

BTW, I see that you are using network tuners (SD HDHR Prime). You can hide your tuners and TA's in a closet somewhere. That's what I did.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:06 pm

If you look at the PCB of the STA-1520, it's obvious that they used an STB platform (I believe model 1540). I'm starting to hear musings of improvements for the future, but nothing that I can share at this time. Re: Conspiracy Theory, I think Hanlon's razor is probably a better description, though probably more to the laziness side than stupidity.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation