Comcast + TWC = D'evil?

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Comcast + TWC = D'evil?

Post by werds » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:28 pm

So how about the rumor mill and the possibility of Comcast (parent company of NBC) possibly purchasing TWC... a little piece of me died upon reading and pretty much feeling as it will inevitably occur...

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:51 pm

To make matters worse, Charter also wants to buy TWC.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:18 pm

If they can pay off justice department to turn the blind eye on the merge in terms of anti-trust laws, it will likely to happen.

machausta

Post by machausta » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:47 pm

With the exception of Cox cable, I really hate cable companies. Living off base in various places I've experienced Cox, Charter, Comcast, and TWC...

Cox is the best of the worst, with lackluster customer service and mediocre pricing.

Charter's goons ran the cable wire across the street way too low, causing it to rip the siding off my house when a passing truck caught on it.

TWC had the best customer service, but I had the most service related issues.

Comcast is the great Satan and dark lord, and I can't get any other internet offering where I live.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Looks like Charter is about to make a bid
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Char ... Bid-126768

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:07 pm

Never had Cox. Had Comcast in Vero Beach... it sucked. Had TWC for many years, and they were OK. TWC changed to Brighthouse in my area, and they are OK too.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:11 am

On one hand, its obviously not good for us customers if there is less competition, but let's be honest- TWC never appears in the same markets as comcast, right? You're always stuck with one cable company.

What it could mean (if Comcast buys TWC, and not the other way around), TWC may give up encrypting channels, which is good news for us WMC users.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:25 am

Well there's no way that TWC is going to buy Comcast. Charter only flags the higher tiers, but I doubt we'll see changes quickly.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:29 am

makryger wrote:On one hand, its obviously not good for us customers if there is less competition, but let's be honest- TWC never appears in the same markets as comcast, right? You're always stuck with one cable company.
Not at all.

I've had two wired cable companies in my backyard for, oh, 15+ years now. Love it.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:40 am

RyC wrote:Well there's no way that TWC is going to buy Comcast. Charter only flags the higher tiers, but I doubt we'll see changes quickly.
Not anymore... As of September 24 2013, the Glendale/Burbank/Pasadena Charter area at least (Southern California/Los Angeles area) has gone full encryption/all digital for all tiers.
Time is on my side.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:49 am

TeddyR wrote:
RyC wrote:Well there's no way that TWC is going to buy Comcast. Charter only flags the higher tiers, but I doubt we'll see changes quickly.
Not anymore... As of September 24 2013, the Glendale/Burbank/Pasadena Charter area at least (Southern California/Los Angeles area) has gone full encryption/all digital for all tiers.
Sorry, what I meant was the flagging of channels copy-once. Different from encryption. TWC flags virtually everything, while Charter only flags the higher tiers and Comcast flags only the premiums I think.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:49 am

machausta wrote:TWC had the best customer service, but I had the most service related issues.
By "best" you mean most craptastic to the point of self-satire? Otherwise, that statement is quite unbelievable.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:00 am

glugglug wrote:
machausta wrote:TWC had the best customer service, but I had the most service related issues.
By "best" you mean most craptastic to the point of self-satire? Otherwise, that statement is quite unbelievable.
My area was on TWC. Then it changed to BrightHouse, but I don't see any difference between the two companies. For normal service, like installations and stuff... the techs have always shown up on-time, and done their job well. For anything out of the usual... that's a completely different story.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:29 pm

glugglug wrote:
As someone that regllarly deals with almost all cable operators, TWC is one of my preferred companies to deal with, so I would agree that they have some of the best customer service.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:39 pm

erkotz wrote:As someone that regllarly deals with almost all cable operators, TWC is one of my preferred companies to deal with, so I would agree that they have some of the best customer service.
I agree, for the most part. And, their support for CableCARD has improved significantly over the last couple of years.

Gilrock

Post by Gilrock » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:17 am

I've actually been fairly happy with Comcast. But I discovered early on its best not to call them on the phone. I've always been happy with my customer service when I drive down to their location and talk in person. Over the phone can be hit or miss.

Gil