Brighthouse Networks - Central Florida - going all digital

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Brighthouse Networks - Central Florida - going all digital

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Just thought I'd post this here for those of you who don't know yet...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r287104 ... L-Digital-

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:36 pm

The purpose of my post is/was to say that Digital Tuning Adapters (DTA's) will be required for all TV's that don't have a cable box or a CableCARD, and that some "clear" QAM channels will still be available (for now). Those of you using "clear" QAM tuners will most likely see some changes right away. BHN will give you two free DTA's until Jan 2015 (per the FCC mandate). The price for each DTA beyond the 2 free is $1.00/month each (right now). I don't know how much they will cost in the future (after the free period).

The price isn't bad. I don't think a buck per month per TV is going to kill anyone, even after the "2-free" period. I still don't like it.

But... the bright side for those of you using CableCARD tuners and Media Center extenders on every TV: it won't affect you.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:39 pm

I fully expect we will see more and more operators do this in the next 18 months. I forsee analog cable being dead for most people in the near future. I know my TWC area has already started to shut off analog.

The bandwidth is valuable to operators (for data or more channels/on demand) and also there are some things the FCC allows them to do when they are digital-only.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:02 pm

erkotz wrote: also there are some things the FCC allows them to do when they are digital-only.
Yeah, like encrypt the local (basic tier) channels.

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:39 pm

Everyone should watch their bills closely, especially if you have TWC. I got my most recent bill in the mail, and they already charged me $0.99 for the DTA they sent me erroneously. I didn't request it - I had asked for a tuning adapter, clearly not the same thing (except to them), but they sent it anyway. I figured I would keep it for now to see what good it might do me for my one TV that doesn't have an extender connected to it.

I called to complain about the $0.99 charge, and they took it off for me. I also inquired about the $9.99 one time fee they charged me for sending me another cablecard and tuning adapter, which I did request. That was filed under an "EasyConnect Charge." Back in November of 2012 there was no charge when they mailed me my TA and CC, but now apparently there is. I can understand a charge for the shipping I guess, as a TA is a bit bulky. However the only thing they did different this 2nd time on the TA order was throw it in one of their fancy color printed EasyConnect boxes, throw that box in a plain brown shipping box, and send it out.

Additionally, according to this link:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid ... digit.html
TWC is stating that the DTA's are free until the beginning of 2014, at which point the $0.99 charge kicks in. Barnabas, based on what you said about the FCC mandate, TWC is incorrect on the date...? If so, I would love to find the FCC page that shows that mandate (still looking) so I can throw that back at them. Hehehehe....

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:39 am

This is what I found thus far at this link:

https://www.federalregister.gov/article ... ipment#h-9

(iii) The cable system operator offers to its existing subscribers who subscribe to a level of service above “basic only” but use a digital television or other device with a clear-QAM tuner to receive only the basic service tier without use of a set-top box or CableCARD at the time of encryption, the equipment necessary to descramble or decrypt the basic service tier signals (the subscriber's choice of a set-top box or CableCARD) on one television set without charge or service fee for one year from the date encryption of the basic service tier commences...

I would be a subscriber who subscribes to a level of service above "basic only." I also use a digital television...to receive only the basic service tier without use of a set-top box or CableCARD (at least on one of my TV's). Therefor, it looks like TWC owes me my choice of either a DTA or a CableCard for free for one year from the date they started their encryption (early October). That's what I'm getting out of all that legalese...