Running 2 modems (data and VOIP)

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
jziggity

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jziggity » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:54 pm

As a follow-up, I also have a question about the status lights on the SB6121 modem. I have a blue downstream status light for the bonded downstream connection, but the upstream connection is still green, which indicates that the upstream connection is there but it is apparently not bonded. Is that something I need to worry about? Everything seems to be working fine with it.

crawfish

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by crawfish » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:02 am

It was a year or two of four downstream channels bonding before Cox enabled upstream bonding. It did not impede the 20-25 Mbps download rate. IIRC, even DOCSIS 2 with one channel was rated up to 30 Mbps. The big advantage to channel bonding for me has been to ensure I get full speed at all times of the day. Before my SB6120, for months at a time during peak hours, DL speed would drop to 1 Mbps with packet loss due to crowding on the nodes. I would complain, and the first few times I even let Cox roll a truck, but the only thing that would fix the problem was waiting for Cox to expand capacity. In the two or three years I've been running the SB6120, channel bonding has completely eliminated this issue I regularly endured for months at a time over 10 years with several other Motorola modems. It was during one of these periods I bought the SB6120, and it fixed the problem instantly, and so far, permanently.

BTW, in case you don't know, Motorola modems have a status page normally at http://192.168.100.1 where you can view the channel bonding status, signal strength, etc.