Time Warner & CBS - Can we all just get along?

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
micallen

HTPC Specs: Show details

Time Warner & CBS - Can we all just get along?

Post by micallen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:37 pm

So Time Warner and CBS failed to reach an agreement Friday, and TWC blacked out CBS (and a few other CBS-owned stations) in the 8 largest markets. I thought "no big deal for now." However, when I got on CBS.com to watch something I missed - the show was blacked out online. I checked a few other shows: blacked out. Damn. Watching online from time to time was part of my overall cord-cutting scheme.

"In a retaliatory move, CBS cut off access for TWC customers — including those who only subscribe to broadband Internet — to recently aired episodes available on CBS.com.

In the Monday letter, Britt called the move "abhorrent" and called for CBS to reopen the online access. "Regardless of the issues between us, it is surely beyond the pale for you to subject these Internet customers to blocking of content that is made available for free to all others," he wrote."

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Can you get them on Hulu?

micallen

Post by micallen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Shackleford wrote:Can you get them on Hulu?
Hmmm... didn't think to check, but I will tonight.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Wow, that really blows. I was planning to watch Dexter on sho.com in a few days. Is sho.com blocking TWC/Brighthouse customers too?

If so, then this might be a good time to use one of those services like unblock.us.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:36 pm

You are meaningless in all of this.

The only way to win, is not to play their games at all.

It's only TV. Go find something else to do, and move on with your lives. You aren't *owed* the results of these two behemoths playing nice; you are *allowed* to have their crapola shoved down your throats. Just as long as each side is happy with the money he's making. As you can see, when either side chooses not to be happy...

Let them play their games, and maybe realize that in the end no one cares.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money....
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:34 pm

micallen wrote:
Hmmm... didn't think to check, but I will tonight.
CBS doesn't put content on Hulu IIRC
STC wrote:Money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money....
I feel like you're trying to say something; not sure what though :P

micallen

Post by micallen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:04 am

No, Hulu just redirects you to CBS.com.

micallen

Post by micallen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:12 am

TWC also blocks access to USA network and TNT amongst others.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:21 am

micallen wrote:TWC also blocks access to USA network and TNT amongst others.
Are you sure that TWC are doing the blocking? That doesn't make much sense. I hate to be defending a cable-co, but it's more likely that USA and TNT are doing it.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 am

foxwood wrote:
micallen wrote:TWC also blocks access to USA network and TNT amongst others.
Are you sure that TWC are doing the blocking? That doesn't make much sense. I hate to be defending a cable-co, but it's more likely that USA and TNT are doing it.
Time Warner owns TNT...and Comcast owns USA.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:10 pm

richard1980 wrote:Time Warner owns TNT...and Comcast owns USA.
I guess we should get clarification from some other TWC customer about whether they can access TNT or USA before going down a rabbit hole discussing what possible mental contortions TWC executives used to justified such a strategy.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Yeah, I don't think it makes much sense for TWC to randomly block one of Comcast's channels, much less one of TW's own channels. I'm guessing micallen just had an isolated incident.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:11 am

The details, and the business perspective:

http://www.tmtperspectives.com/2013/08/ ... n-dispute/

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:05 am

I confirmed that I cannot watch shows on SHO.com. However, I can watch stuff on CBS.com (not that I need to watch them on CBS.com, because I have ATSC and CableCARD tuners). I'm on Brighthouse Networks.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:51 am

adam1991 wrote:The details, and the business perspective:

http://www.tmtperspectives.com/2013/08/ ... n-dispute/
The increase in fees that CBS is asking TWC, TWC will pass on to the subscribers.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

micallen

Post by micallen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:55 pm

foxwood wrote:
I guess we should get clarification from some other TWC customer about whether they can access TNT or USA before going down a rabbit hole discussing what possible mental contortions TWC executives used to justified such a strategy.
Let me clarify:
When I go to those sites and try to watch any episodes, I am asked to "login to my television provider." TWC is glaringly missing from the large list of available providers on the USA and TNT sites.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:05 pm

micallen wrote:
foxwood wrote:
Let me clarify:
When I go to those sites and try to watch any episodes, I am asked to "login to my television provider." TWC is glaringly missing from the large list of available providers on the USA and TNT sites.
That's obviously not a case of
TWC also blocks access to USA network and TNT.
Those sites only allow "affiliated customers" (for want of a better term) access to full episodes online. Right now, TWC customers aren't "affiliated customers", but if your brother visits your house, and enters his Verizon/Comcast/whatever-non-TWC-cable-company-he-uses username and password, he can watch TNT over your TWC broadband connection.

micallen

Post by micallen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:12 pm

foxwood wrote:Those sites only allow "affiliated customers" (for want of a better term) access to full episodes online. Right now, TWC customers aren't "affiliated customers", but if your brother visits your house, and enters his Verizon/Comcast/whatever-non-TWC-cable-company-he-uses username and password, he can watch TNT over your TWC broadband connection.
Semantics. Same results for me.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:00 pm

micallen wrote:When I go to those sites and try to watch any episodes, I am asked to "login to my television provider." TWC is glaringly missing from the large list of available providers on the USA and TNT sites.
The absence of TWC from the list on the USA website doesn't mean "TWC is blocking access to USA". It means Comcast (the company that owns USA) does not allow TWC customers to access the content on the USA website. Comcast isn't going to just give away their content online for free...they have to agree to let TWC subscribers access USA content on the USA website. Obviously they haven't agreed to do that. (On a side note, I find it interesting that TWC has agreed to allow Comcast cable subcribers to access TWC content online, but Comcast has not allowed TWC subscribers to do the same. I'm betting TWC turned down that option in exchange for lower rates.)

Similarly, the absence of TWC from the list on the TNT website doesn't mean "TWC is blocking access to TNT". Non-TWC customers would access TNT content by visiting the TNT website, but TWC customers need to go through the TWC TV app.
micallen wrote:Semantics. Same results for me.
It's not the same result. You accused TWC of blocking access, when in fact Comcast is the one blocking access.