Time Warner & CBS - Can we all just get along?

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
micallen

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by micallen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:09 pm

I understand what you're saying. My point after your explanation was that for me, it doesn't matter... I can't access them.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:23 pm

We got tired of the "you may not be able to receive this channel after such and such date" popping up on my TV every 2-3 months. Got an antenna in the attic, 2x SDHR-duals and tune our own ATSC TV. Quality is much better, and you are not at the mercy of Cable provider.

We are still getting cable for the channles we like on Cable, using Ceton InifniTV4 and a CableCard.

Anyone with a WMC can easily integrate both feeds into the guide and make it all transparent to the end user.

We had to get 2 antennas, since some of the channels were in one direction, and some were in the other. But, luckily, in WMC, you can assing channels to preferred tuners. No need for signal combiners.

One antenna is an $18 job from Sears, and the other is the "youtube coat hanger" antenna, but I used left over 14/2 copper wire for it.

micallen

Post by micallen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:37 pm

blueiedgod wrote:We got tired of the "you may not be able to receive this channel after such and such date" popping up on my TV every 2-3 months.
Yep... Dish (which is who I just dropped) stopped carrying the NBC affiliate in my area Aug 1st. They almost dropped CBS, but reached a 90 day extension, so who knows how that will turn out.

I too kept cheap cable ($8 / month) but am getting ready to put an antenna in the attic to connect to the tuner card. The cable through the tuner card only gives me 1 HD channel (ETV), and the guide doesn't work. With the antenna, I'll be rolling.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Just so you all know...

You get better reception if you mount the antenna outside, not in the attic. The typical response to this statement is "my HOA won't allow an antenna". To which, my reply is always that federal law allows you to install an antenna of a size, type, and height necessary to receive your local stations (even if you live in an apartment/condo, as long as you install the antenna outside on a private balcony or similar location). The HOA can't override federal law. I don't have the link to the FCC's ruling in this matter right now, but I'm sure you can find it if needed.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks foxwood. I knew someone would post some links.

This whole CBS thing is certainly going to drive more people to "cut the cord".

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Part of this argument between CBS and TWC was that TWC was demanding CBS could not put content up on Amazon or Netflix for a determined amount of time/at all as well. It's not all "CBS bad, TWC good". TWC was demanding things of CBS that would have consequences to people who aren't even subscribed to TWC; or even in an area where TWC is available.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:15 pm

staknhalo, can you give us a link to that info?

I'm not really taking sides here, I just think this will drive people to cut the cord. If TWC is actually trying to protect the consumer from price increases, that's great. But I'm not too happy that my access to Showtime has been cut off. Showtime and CNN are about the only reasons I haven't cut the cord yet.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:30 pm

The actual story I read was on Reddit the other day - but this is the statement released by CBS found in these various stories (via Google search)
A CBS spokeswoman later responded that Time Warner Cable had given the broadcaster an ultimatum. Time Warner Cable either does not want CBS doing deals in the digital space with companies like Netflix or it wants to take all of CBS' online content for free, CBS said.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cbs+tim ... 20&bih=930

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:49 pm

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:42 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Just so you all know...

You get better reception if you mount the antenna outside, not in the attic. The typical response to this statement is "my HOA won't allow an antenna". To which, my reply is always that federal law allows you to install an antenna of a size, type, and height necessary to receive your local stations (even if you live in an apartment/condo, as long as you install the antenna outside on a private balcony or similar location). The HOA can't override federal law. I don't have the link to the FCC's ruling in this matter right now, but I'm sure you can find it if needed.
It was just easier for me to run the wires in the conduit already in the attic into the basement. Mounting antenna outside would necessitate running the wires into the basement along the outside. I'd have to mount 2 antennas on different sides of the house.

We are getting pretty good reception in the attic. If we didn't, I'd probably mount it outside, on the roof.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:32 am

I understand. But, if you're getting "pretty good" reception in the attic, you'd get much better reception, even if both antennas are mounted on the same mast and on the same side of the house, but pointed in different directions.

Media Center, with the combination of multiple tuners, which are connected to antennas that are pointed in different directions (and the ability to assign different tuners/priorities for each channel) is a great solution for people who have TV stations that are in different directions.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:31 pm

FCC chairwoman says they'll intervene if dispute is not settled soon:

http://consumerist.com/2013/08/09/fcc-w ... -anything/

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:58 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:FCC chairwoman says they'll intervene if dispute is not settled soon:

http://consumerist.com/2013/08/09/fcc-w ... -anything/
" Clyburn’s words were music to Time Warner Cable’s ears, as it has asked the FCC to investigate broadcasters’ bundling practices, in which companies like CBS force cable and satellite providers to accept a large group of channels — and pay for them all — just to get access to the few that the large number of customers really want."

Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:07 pm

FCC: "You two better try harder to reach an agreement or else we're going to tell you to try harder to reach an agreement!"
foxwood wrote:Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle!
TWC isn't complaining about bundling pay TV channels with other pay TV channels...they're complaining about bundling pay TV channels with free broadcast TV channels. The complaint to the FCC specifically mentions the "Big Four" broadcast networks, of which none are owned by Time Warner (ABC is owned by Disney, CBS is owned by National Amusements, NBC is owned by Comcast, and FOX is owned by 21st Century Fox (formerly News Corporation)). So this certainly doesn't appear to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Richard, my cable company requires me
"to accept a large group of channels — and pay for them all — just to get access to the few that
I
really want."
That's exactly the behavior that TWC is complaining about. TWC is complaining that all of the big 4 do it, not that it only wants to carry the 4 "network" channels for free and nothing else except it's own content.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:55 pm

foxwood wrote:not that it only wants to carry the 4 "network" channels for free and nothing else except it's own content.
I didn't say that's what they were complaining about. I said they are complaining about bundling pay TV channels with free broadcast TV channels. According to TWC, CBS won't grant retransmission consent for the OTA stations unless TWC agrees to also purchase "CBS-affiliated pay-television programming services"...channels like Showtime. TWC's major complaints are that that this practice defies the intent of the retransmission consent rules, reduces competition for non-broadcast channels, and reduces available bandwidth available for smaller content providers that aren't affiliated with the big media companies. As a result, TWC has asked FCC to do the following:
  • Clarify that "good faith" negotiation requires broadcasters to offer standalone terms for retransmission consent, and that such standalone terms cannot be "sham" offers that make purchasing a larger programming package the only economically rational option.
  • Either deregulate the major broadcasters (making them equal to non-broadcast channels) or establish rules that curb broadcasters' ability to abuse the rules...particularly their ability to use blackouts as leverage. Instead of blackouts, TWC wants FCC to establish rules that allow for interim carriage while negotiations continue.
The major complaint is that CBS is using the local channels as leverage in negotiating fees for the non-broadcast channels like Showtime. Now while I agree that TWC certainly does participate in bundling content (to both subscribers and other cable companies), TWC doesn't extend offers to other cable companies that include bundling of high-demand broadcast channels with non-broadcast channels. TWC doesn't own any high-demand broadcast channels, so they certainly can't use that tactic (which is why I disagree with your statement that the pot is calling the kettle black). Their bundling practices for non-broadcast channels are irrelevant because that's not what TWC is complaining about, although the letter does have one sentence that could be interpreted out of context to mean exactly that ("Programming packages consume large amounts of bandwidth on MVPDs’ systems and sap their programming budgets, which leaves less room to carry independent programmers and to pay for independent programmers’ content.")

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:40 pm

The fight is about digital distribution rights, consensus was reached on channel retrans fees. TWC wants to be able to continue the old agreement which basically let them distro anything on demand, CBS wants to keep a lot of those rights to itself so it can sell them to others.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:12 pm

That's not the subject of the letter TWC sent to FCC (which is what foxwood and I were discussing). You can read the letter here (which, unlike the WSJ article you linked, does not require a paid subscription in order to view).