NBC blocks recordings again

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
prijo

HTPC Specs: Show details

NBC blocks recordings again

Post by prijo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:28 am

I received the recording cancelled message tonight for the voice and revolution. This appears to have happened by "mistake" in 2098, 2009 and 2011 that I can find so far. Is anyone else able to record NBC tonight?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 am

It's not the network that sets the flag, it's the cableco. Direct your complaints to their engineers.

prijo

Post by prijo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:03 am

Having that argument with time warner right now, they indicate it us not them and that bit is set by NBC.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:57 am

Unless specifically forbidden by the content agreement, both the network and the cable company have the authority to modify the copy protection.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:53 am

If this was a ClearQAM channel, it most likely was the TV station and not the cable co. ClearQAM channels don't typically have a CCI, which means the OCUR falls back to other protection flags (CCI, if present, overrides them)
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

prijo

Post by prijo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:36 am

It was digital HD channel accessible through a cable card, even the low def SD channel could not be recorded. All other network recordings were fine last night. I had to beg twc to open a ticket on my behalf to investigate who is setting the flag. They told me to complain to NBC, sigh.

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:14 pm

It is funny that I have a Media Center (MC7) with cable card and a Motorola HD DVR STB from the cable company. I have Columbus OH Insight Communications (Now TimeWarner but not fully converted).

MC7 said that the provider blocked the recording. The Insight provided STB recorded it. Hmmm... If it was NBC, both boxes would have been blocked, right?

prijo

Post by prijo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:01 pm

Totally agree, this is a twc issue even though I was instructed to complain at NBC. Perhaps I will complain to NBC that twc is setting the record never bit.

prijo

Post by prijo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Twc just replied to my ticket and told me they cannot help me and that I should take it up with windows media center and or NBC. Twc won't be my provider for much longer.

Sturmie

Post by Sturmie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Same problem here...Columbus, OH + Insight (now owned by TWC) + MC7 + Ceton + CableCARD. Just talked to Insight CSR and he had to Google me an answer...it sounds like he was quoting from THIS thread :).

I can confirm everything was working two nights ago...I know because we record the NBC Nightly News every night and I thought it was curious that it didn't record last night. I turned the TV on today 6:45PM and saw that it wasn't recording again, so I manually tried to record...got the message everyone else is getting with MC7.

Is it even worth trying to fight them (Insight or TWC) since they obviously don't know what they're doing?

Sturmie

prijo

Post by prijo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:05 am

I honestly don't know. The more people that open tickets they might finally remove their collective heads out of their butts. The only way is to have everyone pester them.

Sturmie

Post by Sturmie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 am

I might actually switch to WOW anyway. Insight gave me a competitive rate for last year (since I called and complained), but then jacked it up January 1. I called in January threatening to cancel and they offered me a whopping $10 for 6 months...WOW is $25 cheaper for TWO years. I've been too lazy to switch, but this might be the motivation I need.

prijo

Post by prijo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 am

I sent a cry for help to NBC local and corporate asking them to bump twc off stupid.... Not holding my breath.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 pm

You could also try complaining here

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:50 pm

dmagerl wrote:You could also try complaining here

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
I did. Here is the text I sent:

I have an Insight (Time Warner) provided HD DVR cable box and a Windows7 Media Center with an Insight provided cablecard.

I had the program "Revolution" set to record on both boxes. The Insight box recorded the program. The Media Center box errored indicating the provider does not allow recording of this program. No other channels cause this error. This only occurs on the local Columbus OH NBC affiliate WCHM. Since the progam did record on the Insight DVR, it was not an NBC or WCMH requirement. Insight is blocking the cable cards. Which is not allowed under FCC regulations. On the official Microsoft Media Center website, this is a widespread issue with TimeWarner cablecard use. All programs currently on all NBC affiliates are being blocked for cablecards that were provided by Insight (TW).

Sturmie

Post by Sturmie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:35 pm

I knew when TWC took over Insight that things were gonna go down the toilet...TWC ruins everything and I don't have time to file complaints with the FCC and have Insight CSRs tell me that it's not their issue. I'm gonna call WOW tonight.

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:50 pm

I was on WOW before I moved. LOVED IT! In the new house, WOW is not in my area. I have emailed them many times trying to get them here. I am stuck with Insight/TWC. The alternative is Frontieir/DishNetwork. :-(

prijo

Post by prijo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Called TWC Cablecard support number: 866-606-5889. They told me that I should roll back my ceton firmware, which is at the latest rev. He said that he found a reference that someone else had this problem and that rolling back firmware fixed it. I have a problem with that as the problem appears to be in Columbus Ohio ONLY, if this was the case I would think there would be more folks piping in from all around the country.

Anyway, i have to exhaust all avenues before I go to BBB and FCC.

TWC initially said it is NBC: I sent support requests to NBC and their local affiliate.
TWC then told me in writing that they can't help me since i'm not using thier DVR and I should contact NBC or Windows Media Center support.
TWC then said it is CETON, I've opened a ticket with Ceton.

If Ceton comes back with "it isn't us", i'm going to BBB and FCC.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:16 pm

I missed Revolution on the 22nd also, but I checked the history in Media Center, and it didn't even show that it attempted to record it. My local stations are setup to use my two OTA (ATSC) tuners as first priority, so it is most likely that my system would have attempted to use the ATSC tuners and not the CableCARD tuner.

Are you sure that Revolution aired on the 22nd?

Sturmie

Post by Sturmie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:30 pm

It's not Ceton...I haven't changed my Ceton firmware in years and as far as I can tell, this started happening Monday some time. I'm in Columbus, OH as well...on Insight, using Ceton InfiniTV 4 and MC7.

I called Insight again today and asked them to open a ticket for their engineers...didn't even bother to have the CSR who answered the phone troubleshoot it. He didn't know anything about it and I wasn't going to waste my time. If I don't get a call back by EOD tomorrow, I'm going to call again to follow up.