Cox Cable San Diego no longer to support CableCards

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
Paul Anderegg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cox Cable San Diego no longer to support CableCards

Post by Paul Anderegg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:29 pm

The other day i had a tech at my apartment tying to fix an ongoing issue where my 2 Ceton InfuriatingTV4's keep loosing CP auth.

Well, this usually requires having them unpaired, removed from the account, and repaired. Well, this guy got his boss on speakerphone, and the guy refused to fix the problem. Not knowing I was listening in, his boss said "Tell him to get a cable box, we aren't going to be supporting CableCards anymore in a few months because of of all the problems we have with them."

So.....I've got $400 worth of junk soon....WTF is going to replace the CableCards.......am I stuck having to rely on whatever cable box they provide? I fill up my 1.5TB HDD all the time now, and I actually record 7-8 TV shows at once......for hours a day EVERY DAY. What am I to do?

Paul

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:43 pm

As far as I know the FCC requires the cable companies to support any cable labs approved device.
That includes cable cards and cable card tuners.
You might want to check into that and then remind them and try to get repaired again.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Paul Anderegg wrote: What am I to do?
If your cable provider is uncooperative with supporting your CableCard, file a complaint with the FCC:

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form ... type=2000E
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Paul Anderegg wrote:... Well, this usually requires having them unpaired, removed from the account, and repaired. Well, this guy got his boss on speakerphone, and the guy refused to fix the problem. Not knowing I was listening in, his boss said "Tell him to get a cable box, we aren't going to be supporting CableCards anymore in a few months because of of all the problems we have with them."

What am I to do?
Open a complaint immediately with the FCC as Scallica mentioned. It is FUD like this that is making it difficult even for the techs that want to do their jobs to do it correctly.. and is a direct violation of the FCC rules. List everything... dates... times... and names if you have them....

BTW.. the FCC keeps track of these "violations"... and it directly affects the providers standing when they later on want exceptions or consideration on other issues...
Time is on my side.

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:25 pm

^^^ This. File a complaint. They are violating FCC regs and customers need to call them on it. Also don't hesitate to call them ask to talk to a supervisor and tell them you are going to file the complaint and why.

Refer them to this which is directly from the FCC's own website.
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:35 pm

This is absolutely 100% false. All US cable providers are required to support CableCARDs by FCC regulations. If you continue having trouble, open a support ticket with us and we will work with your cable operator to resolve this issue.

If you already have a ticket open, please PM me the ticket number and I will reach out to Cox corporate.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:23 pm

Paul Anderegg wrote:The other day i had a tech at my apartment tying to fix an ongoing issue where my 2 Ceton InfuriatingTV4's keep loosing CP auth.

Well, this usually requires having them unpaired, removed from the account, and repaired. Well, this guy got his boss on speakerphone, and the guy refused to fix the problem. Not knowing I was listening in, his boss said "Tell him to get a cable box, we aren't going to be supporting CableCards anymore in a few months because of of all the problems we have with them."
The boss, who doesn't have a clue how to fix it, is trying to get his tech out of your house and on to his next call by having his tech lie to you.

And you bought it--hook, line, and sinker.

Do NOT put any credence into what one single person in a stressful situation says on the spur of the moment. You just cause yourself to get migraines that way.

Yeah, he lied--it sucks. Yeah, you have to spend time working through that--it sucks. But such is life. Deal with it, and move on.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:58 pm

what ever happened with this?