Subscription Required

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
BiggAW

HTPC Specs: Show details

Subscription Required

Post by BiggAW » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 am

I got the Subscription Required error message on my Ceton InfiniTV 4 machine yesterday. I was out for the day, came back, and in that span of 10 or so hours, it had completely lost the ability to access anything exception ClearQAM. The obvious problem would be a Comcast one, which I called in and got them to re-associate the CableCard, but I'm wondering if it's possible that something on my machine went south? After numerous crashes, weird error messages, missed recordings and the like, I have virtually zero trust left in WMC, so I'm wondering if it's ****ing me over, not Comcast.

drtdiver

Post by drtdiver » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Subscription required messages were fairly common to my system. It got a lot better after updating to the latest beta drivers, beta firmware, and hardware version of all the ceton software. But I still had the problem occasionally and that was due to signal issues. Now I have not seen this issue in months and am very happy with it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:10 pm

BiggAW wrote:I got the Subscription Required error message on my Ceton InfiniTV 4 machine yesterday.
Check your signal strength. http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... -explained

BiggAW

Post by BiggAW » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
BiggAW wrote:I got the Subscription Required error message on my Ceton InfiniTV 4 machine yesterday.
Check your signal strength. http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... -explained
That wouldn't make much sense since ClearQAM was 100% and encrypted QAM was 0%. I finally got Comcast to try again last night, and they finally managed to fix it. It was some sort of authentication error on their end. The CableCard was still working in some capacity, as to map ClearQAM channels, but not in enough capacity to handle the proper decryption for my package.

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:24 pm

If you try to tune a cable channel live, does it play for a moment then go black and give you the sub req message?

Welcome to my world, I am going on a year now with this constant and annoying issue of one of my TV4's loosing auth and having to be unpaired and repaired over the phone to get them working again. The worst part is when one card looses auth, I loose cable TV on BOTH of them....LAME.

Paul

BiggAW

Post by BiggAW » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:34 am

Paul Anderegg wrote:If you try to tune a cable channel live, does it play for a moment then go black and give you the sub req message?

Welcome to my world, I am going on a year now with this constant and annoying issue of one of my TV4's loosing auth and having to be unpaired and repaired over the phone to get them working again. The worst part is when one card looses auth, I loose cable TV on BOTH of them....LAME.

Paul
At the time, it couldn't tune at all. I got it fixed. I have since switched to a TiVo Premiere XL4, which is using the same CableCard and working fine.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 pm

BiggAW wrote:
Paul Anderegg wrote:If you try to tune a cable channel live, does it play for a moment then go black and give you the sub req message?

Paul
At the time, it couldn't tune at all. I got it fixed. I have since switched to a TiVo Premiere XL4, which is using the same CableCard and working fine.
Temporary fix.

When your provider changes codec, all TiVo is going to offer you is a discounted XL4 for a "measly" $650, and will require the TSN for your brand spanking new XL4 that you just paid $900 for, so that you can't sell it to someone who could use it on a different system.

Verizon is rolling out new audio codec and that is what TiVO is offering people.

Sounds like you would have been better off fixing the original pairing issue. If it were InfiniTV4 issue, it was probably still under warranty, or could have been fixed with a firmware update. If it were provider issue, it could have been fixed by the provider.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:48 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Verizon is rolling out new audio codec
When, where, how?

Is Tivo refusing to add the new Codec to their hardware for licensing reasons, or because they want to screw people for more money for a new box? If it's for licensing reasons, will we be able to get the new Codec on Windows, and what will happen to Extenders?

BiggAW

Post by BiggAW » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
BiggAW wrote:

Paul
Temporary fix.

When your provider changes codec, all TiVo is going to offer you is a discounted XL4 for a "measly" $650, and will require the TSN for your brand spanking new XL4 that you just paid $900 for, so that you can't sell it to someone who could use it on a different system.

Verizon is rolling out new audio codec and that is what TiVO is offering people.

Sounds like you would have been better off fixing the original pairing issue. If it were InfiniTV4 issue, it was probably still under warranty, or could have been fixed with a firmware update. If it were provider issue, it could have been fixed by the provider.
You're very confused. Verizon is going to MPEG-4 for video encoding, which TiVo won't update the Series 3 for. The Series 4 (i.e. Premiere) like I have is fully compatible with MPEG-4, as are any of the newer CableCard tuners on the MCE side (Ceton, HDHR). I have Comcast, and a Premiere XL4, so I am all set, even if I for some reason move to Rhode Island where they have FIOS.

The CableCard issues was not why I switched to TiVo, I switched to TiVo because I was completely fed up with MCE 7, and wanted something that works. I love the new TiVo. The MCE machine is still used for Windows 7 playback of media, but not DVR'ing. It's future is up in the air depending on where I move, and with whom, it may end up with a second CableCard (in addition to TiVo), with an OTA tuner, or neither.

MC7forum

Post by MC7forum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 pm

I have seen the subscription required message three times in a little over 2 years using a CableCARD tuner on MC7. This has happened on both the Ceton InfiniTV4 and the SiliconDust HD HomeRun PRIME.

Each time, a simple call to my cable provider solved the problem. I simply ask them to send a "hit" to my CableCARD(s), and the problem is magically resolved.

I truly believe this is the fault of the cable company, and NOT the tuner, whether it be a Ceton, Hauppauge, or SiliconDust tuner.

BiggAW

Post by BiggAW » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:09 pm

MC7forum wrote:I have seen the subscription required message three times in a little over 2 years using a CableCARD tuner on MC7. This has happened on both the Ceton InfiniTV4 and the SiliconDust HD HomeRun PRIME.

Each time, a simple call to my cable provider solved the problem. I simply ask them to send a "hit" to my CableCARD(s), and the problem is magically resolved.

I truly believe this is the fault of the cable company, and NOT the tuner, whether it be a Ceton, Hauppauge, or SiliconDust tuner.
That's correct. It has nothing to do with Microsoft, Ceton, or TiVo. I could have the same issue with TiVo. We'll see.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:09 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
BiggAW wrote:

Paul
Temporary fix.

:roll:
Completely, utterly wrong once again, mpeg4 is a video codec that current Tivos handle just fine.

Please stick to pimping HTPCs in unrelated threads instead of spreading lies about Tivo, at least you'll only be half-wrong that way.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 pm

slowbiscuit wrote: :roll:
Completely, utterly wrong once again, mpeg4 is a video codec that current Tivos handle just fine.

Please stick to pimping HTPCs in unrelated threads instead of spreading lies about Tivo, at least you'll only be half-wrong that way.
You are WRONG, again!

This is a HTPC/WMC forum, last time I checked, TiVO is neither HTPC nor running WMC. So, TiVO owners can go to TiVO specific forums and profess their love and whatever else they do to their TiVO's in the privacy of their home.

BiggAW

Post by BiggAW » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:48 pm

blueiedgod wrote:

You are WRONG, again!

This is a HTPC/WMC forum, last time I checked, TiVO is neither HTPC nor running WMC. So, TiVO owners can go to TiVO specific forums and profess their love and whatever else they do to their TiVO's in the privacy of their home.
You are propagating the same lies on AVS. Basic, factual reality is not a love for TiVo. It is reality. Why are you flat-out lying, even after you have been corrected by several people, several times?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:03 pm

BiggAW wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:

You are WRONG, again!

You are propagating the same lies on AVS. Basic, factual reality is not a love for TiVo. It is reality. Why are you flat-out lying, even after you have been corrected by several people, several times?

Once again, you missed the MAJOR point, this is a WMC forum, not TiVO. Go to TiVO forums, and profess your love as much as you want to a buggy little Flash box that needs to be rebooted once a week, and still keeps freezing up without a solution from TiVO. Enjoy it!

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Can you guys get a room? I'm fairly confident that nobody reading TGB is interested in your little spat, especially a week later.