Lack of CableCard support in Canada

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Lack of CableCard support in Canada

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:07 pm

STC, Do you have a CableCard in your Infini? I heard that some cable companys up there don't offer the cards yet. How would someone setup an infini if a CableCard was unavailable with their service?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Yes I do. I'm one of the fortunate very few. There are no laws here forcing operators to offer the option of cards alone, so they don't.
STB's only to the masses which is a shame.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:35 pm

Isn't there a CableCard in the STB? Wouldn't it be possible to remove the card from the STB and place it in the Ceton?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:36 pm

You'd have to pair the card to the Ceton. That's the part they will not do (you will be outside of their TOS). It may be possible to sweet talk them (Still rent the STB but have it inoperable for instance), that way they wouldn't lose too much of their precious revenue, although you'd probably be jumping from two tuners in the STB to four in the Ceton, which they would consider lost revenue in another STB rental.

All-in-all a difficult hill to climb :(

Also some, not all Cable Cos use cablecard STB's here, so that is a factor too. I'd also wager most won't have a clue what an infiniTV or HDHRP is, so try educating them :shock:

I took the liberty to rename your post.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:42 pm

If your cable company has no CableCard STB's, and if they don't offer any CableCards, how would you record then?

Does that mean that you would set your Infini to channel 3 and change the channel with the STB? Isn't there a better way?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Yeah you would use a STB together with MC and choose a way to capture the decoded STB TV signal with a capture device through either Svideo, composite or (best) component.
One STB = one 'tuner' + one capture device for MC. MC would use IR to change channels on the STB (and can rarely also do firewire channel changing if the STB supports it).

It's the only option to use MC for TV (aside from some terrestrial freeview TV if your locale has it) for Canadians.

I used to blend using a two tuner STB DVR so that the STB was recording one set of things and MC another. That way I made the best of the equipment I had.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:26 am

So that's why my Canadian friend thought I was nutz.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:55 am

Crash2009 wrote:So that's why my Canadian friend thought I was nutz.
Nah... They just think that the way we do most things "down here" is nutz... healthcare... guns... elections..... :-)
Time is on my side.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:19 pm

TeddyR wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:So that's why my Canadian friend thought I was nutz.
Nah... They just think that the way we do most things "down here" is nutz... healthcare... guns... elections..... :-)
A while back, I was doing some reading about immigrating to Canada. I searched and found a website run by the Canadian version of the USCIS. The thing that really stood out was how easy it was to navigate the site, and how everything was written in plain English. There was no legal mumbo jumbo, and the immigration process and requirements were spelled out in a way that was easy to understand.

Now, I challenge you to go to the www.uscis.gov website, and try to figure out what is required to immigrate into the USA. If you can figure out the process, you win the gold medal!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:27 am

Yea, It is too easy to get in there. Canada does need a taller fence.