First Verizon FiOS Bill

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
Tegeril

HTPC Specs: Show details

First Verizon FiOS Bill

Post by Tegeril » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:13 am

Looking over the FCC regs and wondering about a couple things in advance of the first bill showing up. I have a single cablecard. When I had Comcast previously, I got one cablecard for free and the second for something approximating $2. There was also a $2.50 credit every month which showed up as 'owns own hardware' which I presume is the don't pay for bundled hardware that you aren't using in your plan.

My current assumption is that Verizon will charge me their cablecard fee (3 or 4 dollars, whatever it was on the site during ordering) and then have to credit me some amount because every double play offer they have includes a set top box. Is that right? Will I have to fight to the death with them to get the credit to show?

Thanks!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Every double play package includes a standard def box. If you want a high def box, there is an additional charge.

The charge for a CableCard is $3.99/month.

I wouldn't bother asking for the credit, just enjoy the service.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:27 pm

By law, they are required to give you a discount on bundled packages that include set top boxes if you opt to get a CableCARD instead of the set top box. Now whether that discount appears as a credit on the bill depends on how they format the bill. If it's just a single line charge for the whole bundle, you'll see a credit somewhere else on the bill. But if they break everything out into separate line items (so that one of the line items would be the set top box), you may see a credit somewhere else on the bill, or that line item may just be absent from the bill. Either way, you shouldn't have to ask for it...this is required by law and AFAIK, Verizon complies with the law just like everyone else does.

FWIW, Comcast was cheating you, but they were doing it legally. You were actually paying more than $2.50 for their set top box to begin with (IIRC, Comcast charges somewhere around $10 for the box), so even after the $2.50 credit, you were still paying quite a bit for a box you didn't have.
Scallica wrote:I wouldn't bother asking for the credit, just enjoy the service.
If you don't ask for the credit, at least ask for dinner and a movie first.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:33 pm

richard1980 wrote:By law, they are required to give you a discount on bundled packages that include set top boxes if you opt to get a CableCARD instead of the set top box.
Now I understand. I don't have the credit because I opted to keep the set top box in case my HTPC has a total meltdown.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct