FCC allowing MSOs to encrypt basic tiers

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
erkotz

HTPC Specs: Show details

FCC allowing MSOs to encrypt basic tiers

Post by erkotz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:49 pm

I know at least one waiver has been granted in the past (I believe to CableVision in NYC) but now waivers are no longer necessary. My understanding onf this is that MSOs can encrypt the OTA channels if they wish, so it's possible this will kill ClearQAM - depends on how many MSOs jump on board.
http://www.multichannel.com/article/477 ... c_Tier.php
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Well, its good for Ceton's business! :P
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:34 pm

I subscribe to basic analog, and receive the basic networks in HD over QAM as well. Even without those, looks like I will be forced to invest in CableCard. I knew I would one day, but was hoping it would be on my terms :/ *edit: And just my luck, I'm not in an area that gets good antenna reception. I get like 2 channels; literally :(

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:02 pm

erkotz wrote:I know at least one waiver has been granted in the past (I believe to CableVision in NYC) but now waivers are no longer necessary.
Indeed. The waiver was granted to Brooklyn and The Bronx only, due to rampant cable theft.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:37 pm

I have to say I support the NCTA on this one. I believe all MVPDs have a right to secure their networks, regardless of what information is being transmitted on those networks. They aren't in business to give stuff away for free. Sure, it sucks that ClearQAM may go away, but hey, technology changes all the time. I just hope this leads to more innovation.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 pm

As a media center user, I would say that a few years back, this would have been appalling. But nowadays, there are so many cablecard tuners out there, that I think its not as huge of an issue anymore. You can get a dual cablecard tuner at more than what the old dual clearQAM tuners cost.

Now, if I were a non-media center user, I would say that I don't like the fact that this basically makes tuners in televisions obsolete. What happened to the days when people could go without set top boxes? Why are tvs with cable card tuners so rare? In a time where less is more, where people have thin tv's mounted on their walls and nothing else, why are we being forced to spend money on set top boxes?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:42 pm

makryger wrote:As a media center user, I would say that a few years back, this would have been appalling. But nowadays, there are so many cablecard tuners out there, that I think its not as huge of an issue anymore. You can get a dual cablecard tuner at more than what the old dual clearQAM tuners cost.?
It's a bit disappointing if you weren't on a CableCard system and have recently purchased a tuner. I value my money even if its only 50-100 bucks :/ There are a lot of people out there with analog and Clear QAM rigs; including some who have just built their rigs. Now everyone is forced into CableCard. Plus SDV on top of that for those who apply. If I were stealing cable I suppose I would just lick my wounds and upgrade, but as an analog/basic QAM subscriber it just irks me.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Yeah, I understand... maybe there's still time to return the tuner? Or sell it on ebay?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:12 pm

Nah I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet. The only saving grace is 3 of my 5 TVs are CRTs. Only 1 has an HTPC with it . When the other 2 get one (and on the existing CRT one now), I'll just go from the STB to the analog tuner (and won't have to buy them seeing as I'll have 2 spare ones now). I will only need to go CableCard for the 2 HDTV's. The others will be able to wait until later on. I'm mainly just pissed I couldn't wait to upgrade on my own terms. Plus I'm gonna have to hunt down some IR Emitters as well. Hopefully I have 2 if I'm correct :/

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:31 pm

staknhalo wrote:It's a bit disappointing if you weren't on a CableCard system and have recently purchased a tuner.
I agree, but at the same time I'm sure it was disappointing to analog tuner owners when all the analog OTA signals got transitioned to digital. I'm sure it's also disappointing to people using analog tuners to get cable channels when their cable company switches to all-digital. Change always means disappointment for somebody.
makryger wrote:the fact that this basically makes tuners in televisions obsolete
It makes ClearQAM tuners obsolete. It does not make ATSC tuners obsolete. All TVs now are required to come with ATSC tuners, but there is no law requiring ClearQAM tuners.
makryger wrote:What happened to the days when people could go without set top boxes?
I remember years ago I discovered I could avoid paying for cable TV just by having an internet connection through the cable line....and I'm cheaper than George Costanza. But of course, that's cable theft, and cable theft is illegal.
makryger wrote:Why are tvs with cable card tuners so rare?
TV manufacturers haven't embraced CableCARD, and I'm guessing it's because they figure there really isn't a market for it. And I agree. Most people are either going to get a cable box from the cable company or purchase their own 3rd party box (most likely a DVR) with a CableCARD slot. Very few people are going to want to utilize a CableCARD slot in a TV.

What we really need is just a single box in each home that authorizes the customer to receive the signal. After the signal leaves that box, the customer is free to distribute that signal throughout their home without the use of any additional boxes. Gee, that sure does sound like a familiar concept....

STC

Post by STC » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:28 am

[I have split this topic and started a new thread here: http://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtop ... =22&t=1022 to continue our other discussion]
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:32 pm

richard1980 wrote: What we really need is just a single box in each home that authorizes the customer to receive the signal. After the signal leaves that box, the customer is free to distribute that signal throughout their home without the use of any additional boxes. Gee, that sure does sound like a familiar concept....

I can't put my finger on it.... :shock:

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:07 pm

richard1980 wrote: What we really need is just a single box in each home that authorizes the customer to receive the signal. After the signal leaves that box, the customer is free to distribute that signal throughout their home without the use of any additional boxes. Gee, that sure does sound like a familiar concept....
The Prime + small HTPC is the closest thing so far. :evil:

Seriously though, QAM will be missed. It was my way to cut back bills during the summer. Comcast currently offers an "antenna" package in my area for $25 for local networks only,

jeepguy04

Post by jeepguy04 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:48 pm

This can also affect the number of cable card tuners that you will need. I just recently purchased the two tuner Hauppauge cable card tuner (haven't even hooked it up yet). I went with it over other options simply because 2 cable card tuners was sufficient when I also have a dual clear QAM tuner for the locals. It was on sale for under a hundred after rebate. And with money being tight it was an easier sell to the wife than a 220 ceton. It is replacing a single analog tuner that is hooked to a cable box. Since we rarely have conflicts now and most cable channels run the same show 85 times in a week (slight exaggeration) adding one extra tuner was good enough.

But if comcast decides to encrypt the locals where I am at two tuners will no longer be enough. I will either have to invest in a big roof mounted antenna or another cable card tuner (which would suck meaning 2 cable card rentals a month). The only saving grace is there are actually a handful on non local channels in the clear right now (MTV, TBS and a few others), so if they haven't taken the time to lock them down in my area it may be a long time before they get around to locking the locals.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:20 pm

jeepguy04 wrote: I just recently purchased the two tuner Hauppauge cable card tuner (haven't even hooked it up yet).
When you do get it setup, please post feedback in the owner's thread:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=6&t=1030
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Just in case anyone here sees them, I did file comments with the FCC on this today (at http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceedin ... ame=11-169). Please note that these are my personal comments (and filed as such) and do not necessarily reflect Ceton's views.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:58 am

erkotz wrote:Just in case anyone here sees them, I did file comments with the FCC on this today (at http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceedin ... ame=11-169). Please note that these are my personal comments (and filed as such) and do not necessarily reflect Ceton's views.
OK, my comments are posted.
I would encourage others to file, if for no other reason than to also request that MSOs be prohibited from marking any sort of copy protection (other than copy freely) on these channels. I feel like this is something we can win, if we get a few others to chime in.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:43 pm

http://www.missingremote.com/news/2011- ... am-goodbye
It seems our poor cable companies are all suffering terribly from theft of service, hence the FCC is going to let them encrypt all the basic channels as well. For many of us, this already happened for the HD channels and with the prevelance of the Ceton and Colossus, perhaps it's no longer a big deal for HTPC DVR fans but I have to imagine, once they win this battle, then it's on to plugging the analog hole and turning on copy-protection on all broadcasts..

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:57 pm

First my All-In-Wonder X1800XL (going from XP to 7).
Now it's my (unused) AVerMedia AVerTV PCI-E card.

That's $400+ worth of equipment that's essentially useless to me now. Granted, I've gotten good use out of them during their time, but still...

Yeah, yeah. I know. That's "progress".

-Wolf sends

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:44 pm

One thing that you can be certain of: Technology will change, and if you don't keep up with it, it'll leave you behind.