TV's don't have tubes any more

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV's don't have tubes any more

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:16 am

as an aside, at what point in our culture will we stop calling them "HDTVs" or "flat screen TVs"? Because at this point, they're just TVs.

/split topic

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:31 pm

adam1991 wrote:as an aside, at what point in our culture will we stop calling them "HDTVs" or "flat screen TVs"? Because at this point, they're just TVs.
Maybe in your culture they're just TV's. In my culture they're HDTV's and always will be.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:59 pm

Having HD at the end of a channel name erks me. No real need to separate any more.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:55 pm

STC wrote:Having HD at the end of a channel name erks me. No real need to separate any more.
This.

"He walked out of Wal Mart with 4 flat screen TVs". Really? 20 years ago, making the "flat screen" distinction was meaningful. Now? What purpose does that serve? How does it give me more information int he context of what's happening in society today?

If you want to make a distinction, tell me that somebody stole 4 "tube TVs" from the Goodwill. In other words, give me information that's meaningful in the context of society.

Tesla makes electric cars. Mercedes and VW make diesel cars. But do we say "gasoline car" every time, or do we say "car"?

And yet, by Ken's standards, it's important to call them "gasoline cars"--because that's what they are.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:21 am

adam1991 wrote:
STC wrote:Having HD at the end of a channel name erks me. No real need to separate any more.
This.

"He walked out of Wal Mart with 4 flat screen TVs". Really? 20 years ago, making the "flat screen" distinction was meaningful. Now? What purpose does that serve? How does it give me more information int he context of what's happening in society today?

If you want to make a distinction, tell me that somebody stole 4 "tube TVs" from the Goodwill. In other words, give me information that's meaningful in the context of society.

Tesla makes electric cars. Mercedes and VW make diesel cars. But do we say "gasoline car" every time, or do we say "car"?

And yet, by Ken's standards, it's important to call them "gasoline cars"--because that's what they are.
Nope, gasoline is default. When a car person refers to a diesel engine car they say fill-in-the-blank diesel. Tesla alone says electric, just like Prius alone says hybrid.

I hope the next time you go shopping for a new TV, you get a salesperson who thinks like you do, because most likely neither one of you will know what you bought.

Will it be an LCD? LED? OLED? 4K? 8K? 720p?
None of the above, just a TV! Ha ha.

You miss the point of my 'your culture, my culture' comment, which was, to each their own, including you. In other words, call it what you want and I'll do the same.

The context in society and culture you keep bringing up also exists here at TGB - this is a technology bulletin board and being specific about the technology discussed is relevant, to at least some, which is who I'll direct my future comments to.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:15 am

Do you ask that the newspaper report "he stole a 720p TV"?

Do you ask that the reporter report "he stole an OLED TV"?

Every TV in the store is an HDTV. HDTV is the basic default. If it's not HD, then tell us--because, as you say, the default doesn't need to be explained as if it's the "different" case. Otherwise, in the context of society, it's a TV.

OLED, LED, LCD--none of that has anything to do with HD or not.

720p is HDTV.

4K TV is the equivalent to the battery-electric vehicle (BEV) such as Tesla. It's not the default. So if someone steals a transporter full of Tesla cars, go ahead and say "he stole a transporter of BEVs". But even saying "he stole a 4K TV" is weird. Just say "TV".

Insisting on saying "flat screen TV" is like making fun of people for having cell phones--"look at Mr. Important, does he think he's a doctor or something"?" In other words, those days are long gone. Society has changed.

jfpesant

Post by jfpesant » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Ken H wrote:If I had to bet, I'd say you might have an LG HDTV.
Nice try, but it's a pretty lame Dynex...

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:32 pm

jfpesant wrote:
Ken H wrote:If I had to bet, I'd say you might have an LG HDTV.
Nice try, but it's a pretty lame Dynex...
Dynex is one of the BestBuy house brands (Insignia is the other), and some were made by LG. And, some of the other 3rd party manufacturers who make/made Dynex licensed the ATSC tuner design from LG. Maybe you got one of those?

What's the vintage of the Dynex & Hauppauge?
Last edited by Ken H on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:37 pm

HDTV is still a very relevant term as we now have 4K HDTV. 4K TV doesn't work.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:43 pm

Heck to be pedantic further why not get rid of the T? It's not really Tele any more. The digital era brings everything into your living room. We should just have V Panels.
No more HDT.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:53 pm

VP.

Vision Panel.

I'm going to watch my 16K VP.

I'm down with that.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:25 am

Boob tube

STC

Post by STC » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:56 am

Soooo 80s ;)

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:18 pm

A better example is "regular" vs "unleaded" gasoline. What was "unleaded" is now "regular" (leaded is no longer available)

I don't think the term HDTV will go away. If someone tries to market it that way, someone stupid will prefer the "High Definition" model.

Manufacturer's will name a product whatever helps it sell. There's not much benefit dropping the "flat screen" label.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:03 pm

I know people that "DVR" their shows as opposed to "record" them.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:19 pm

mcewinter wrote:I know people that "DVR" their shows as opposed to "record" them.
Many people still "tape" their shows. ;)
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:37 pm

Goggle Box

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Scallica wrote:
mcewinter wrote:I know people that "DVR" their shows as opposed to "record" them.
Many people still "tape" their shows. ;)
[Flashes back to setting the timer for Mom] :think:

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Just stumbled upon this thread - talk about a random discussion. Geez.
Let's face it, terms like "tape a show" or "HD-TV" will be around for a long time... We'll at least until us "old" people die off. I'm in my late 30s, and a buddy of mine who ran WMC for awhile and has had cable boxes and Tivo still uses the term "tape" a show. I don't even think he has a VHS tape in his house. (Full disclosure - I still own 1 VCR, however it hasn't been hooked up in 10 years)

Now for some more randomness - This reminds me of a story I heard (can't remember where) about a guy who took his young kids to Grandma and Grandpas house. Keep in mind, these kids have never used a landline in their lives. They grew up in a house of mobile-only devices. While at the grandparents, they had to call their mom. They were simply amazed that they could BOTH talk to mom at the same time on their own telephone. Yes, one in the kitchen and the other in the bedroom - each with their own handset/receiver.

The point is - my buddy says "tape a show" and I know what he means. And while the technology continues to advance, we have to admit that some of the old terms we used for legacy tech will remain in everyday use. Deal with it! 8-)

Is it right? Who am I to say. From a nostalgic perspective, I think using old terms pays homage to the tech foundation that was laid by VCRs, tube TVs, and even landlines.
But then again - maybe I'm missing the whole point of this conversation.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Go back and look at the original thread.

The use of "HDTV" or "flatscreen" is trying to make something more important than it is. "Oooo, it's not just a TV, it's an HDTV!"