axiim Q

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mcewinter » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Scallica wrote:
adam1991 wrote:I did. It provides bass, not sub-bass.

The q "XM101.SW" provides 20-100Hz. It's not a subwoofer.
Isn't sub-bass defined as 20-60Hz?
According to Wikipedia, at least.

Adam, I wasn't trying to start anything. You were more snarky than specific.

I sold stereo equipment in the early 90's. Bose insisted that you call it a bass module; that is the only time that the term had significance to me.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:57 pm

mcewinter wrote:
Scallica wrote:
adam1991 wrote:I did. It provides bass, not sub-bass.

The q "XM101.SW" provides 20-100Hz. It's not a subwoofer.
Isn't sub-bass defined as 20-60Hz?
According to Wikipedia, at least.
And other resources. http://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/tech ... o-spectrum
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:06 pm

And to be pedantic: providing it doesn't necessarily mean supplying it. Well.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:40 pm

STC wrote:And to be pedantic: providing it doesn't necessarily mean supplying it. Well.
Sure, but a lousy sub-woofer is still a sub-woofer ;)

STC

Post by STC » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:45 pm

I'm not part of that debate ;)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:59 am

mcewinter wrote:I sold stereo equipment in the early 90's. Bose insisted that you call it a bass module; that is the only time that the term had significance to me.
And soon after Bose did it, every third rate Best Buy-sold speaker manufacturer did the same thing.

Except they did it cheaper, and worse, and called theirs a "subwoofer"--because before Bose did what they did, every speaker in the world had actual woofers and the sole purpose of a 12" or larger separate driver was to provide sub-bass, hence they were subwoofers. They were crossed over to do exactly that, as opposed to the Bose bass module which was crossed over much, much higher.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:20 pm

Well we had a little saying: No highs, no lows...must be Bose. The speakers (cubes) didn't/don't really have a tweeter either, just a wide range driver.

Better sound through marketing.

For what it's worth, all or most subs have an adjustable frequency range so you can close the gap to your speakers. This wasn't as necessary before bookshelf speakers became commonplace.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Do the axiim non sub non bass sans speakers have external PSUs?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:19 pm

mcewinter wrote:Well we had a little saying: No highs, no lows...must be Bose. The speakers (cubes) didn't/don't really have a tweeter either, just a wide range driver.

For what it's worth, all or most subs have an adjustable frequency range so you can close the gap to your speakers. This wasn't as necessary before bookshelf speakers became commonplace.
That's a difference--a subwoofer is historically a separate add-on to whatever speakers you bought, and as such needed some controls to shape it correctly for your listening environment.

But 3, 5, and 7 speaker systems that come as such are designed as an integrated system, where it can't operate without the bass module. In fact, Bose started the whole thing where the speaker wires from the receiver go into the bass module, then other satellite speaker wires are run to the satellites.

If it's designed as a satellite/bass module system, it's a bass module. Not a subwoofer. Ask yourself: do your main two speakers stand alone? CAN they stand alone? No? Then it's a bass module, not a subwoofer.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:41 pm

adam1991 wrote:
mcewinter wrote:Well we had a little saying: No highs, no lows...must be Bose. The speakers (cubes) didn't/don't really have a tweeter either, just a wide range driver.

That's a difference--a subwoofer is historically a separate add-on to whatever speakers you bought, and as such needed some controls to shape it correctly for your listening environment.

But 3, 5, and 7 speaker systems that come as such are designed as an integrated system, where it can't operate without the bass module. In fact, Bose started the whole thing where the speaker wires from the receiver go into the bass module, then other satellite speaker wires are run to the satellites.

If it's designed as a satellite/bass module system, it's a bass module. Not a subwoofer. Ask yourself: do your main two speakers stand alone? CAN they stand alone? No? Then it's a bass module, not a subwoofer.
I'm aware of what you're saying. I'm not debating you, I was just wanted to know why you deemed it a bass module. I wasn't sure if it was based on driver size or frequency response.

Giving it some thought, I don't think it is wrong for a manufacture to offer a (sub?)woofer preset to match the speakers' frequency if you're content on buying such a kit in the first place. Soundbar/woofer packages do the same thing. I just wouldn't declare it to be a high end set up; I would consider it a comprimise, because that's what it is. A soundbar and small speakers in general are a comprimise...at least to somebody who appreciates audio quality.

I would only consider Axiim's solution in a secondary environment. I wouldn't use it in a custom home theater. That's another reason I think the thread on AVS might be bogus. Who builds a custom home theater and then is pleased that he didn't have to put holes in cabinets built for that pupose? What sense is there in buying small speakers for a room dedicated for home theater equipment?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:48 pm

Yeah, like the rest of you - I suspected that thread/user to be a plant. It popped up on AVS almost immediately after mikhino (sp?) had tweeted about the Q @ CES, which is what brought the product to my attention.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:36 pm

Have you noticed none of the official pics show the power cables? The wall sockets in the background are just visible but covered up with a bit of furniture. Even babgvants review didn't show the things plugged in.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:01 pm

Eh, that's just SOP for marketing

STC

Post by STC » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 pm

Define 'wireless' lol. I'd still expect an 'independent' review to show them wired up and working.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:01 pm

Sometimes review units come with stipulations that they must only be displayed like so and so forth (and if you don't adhere you could be blacklisted from receiving review units of any future products). Like I said - it's all just part of the marketing machine.

Even for a legit user review - you would expect a user would - for themselves, in their own home - try to hide the wires as best as possible - and they wouldn't show up in their own pictures. Your best course of action is asking an actual user for a pic of the wires 'not hidden' lol.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:23 pm

STC wrote:Have you noticed none of the official pics show the power cables? The wall sockets in the background are just visible but covered up with a bit of furniture. Even babgvants review didn't show the things plugged in.
Just like Steve Jobs:

https://regmedia.co.uk/2015/06/01/apple ... 2015_1.jpg

Hocus pocus, look at my left hand, pay no attention to my right hand...

(I can say that as a Mac user and an iMac owner who gets peeved by the marketing hokem)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:26 pm

Ed  wrote:Sometimes review units come with stipulations that they must only be displayed like so and so forth (and if you don't adhere you could be blacklisted from receiving review units of any future products).
"review units"--aka, freebies.

Those who want the gravy train to continue, will kowtow to the manufacturer.

The question is, if they kowtow to this degree, how far will they go? All such "reviews" are suspect--because I assume that they are not "reviewing" the products so much as being a word-launderer, being someone who doesn't officially work for the company yet speaks the complete corporate line for public consumption.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:43 pm

Some review units require they be sent back after review. Some are free to keep for the reviewer. Some reviewers pride themselves on not accepting review units - and pay for anything they review out of their own (or their company's) pocket - or just refuse a review unit if it comes with any/certain stipulations. They usually make it known if one of these is the case. You see this everywhere from physical products to games and so forth. It's all up to you as the reader on who you want to trust/follow.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:09 am

Well, even though babgvant and mikinho go back quite a long way he still wrote about things that sucked including not having room correction. For that I'd give some points back.

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:27 am