Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
Shackleford

HTPC Specs: Show details

Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Post by Shackleford » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:42 pm

Anyone using one of these or have any input? http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-0001 ... 717&sr=8-2&
I'm thinking about getting one for my Xbox extender in my living room. Would help out with the poor IR on the Xbox and give me a remote for my ps3 while getting rid of extra remotes. I have the ceton app but would be nice to control volume, inputs and other functions from the same device. Also simple swap from remote to chromecast content. Thoughts?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:02 pm

Realize the Smart can't send IR itself, so you'd have to use the hub or blaster for that. I've always had difficulty finding a good spot for the blaster on an Xbox. I ended up putting my blaster on the shelf in front rather than on the Xbox.

Not sure what you mean about the Chromecast. You realize it still has to be controlled by your phone/tablet, right? Harmony will do the input switching of course, but can't control the device.

I don't use Harmony remotes myself, but the Smart is well liked and will work fine in your case.

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 pm

Well Chromecast also has hdmi cec, so it can switch to the proper input automatically.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 pm

mdavej wrote:Realize the Smart can't send IR itself, so you'd have to use the hub or blaster for that. I've always had difficulty finding a good spot for the blaster on an Xbox. I ended up putting my blaster on the shelf in front rather than on the Xbox.
Yes, that was the point. Eliminate the horrid Xbox angles with the blaster.
mdavej wrote:Not sure what you mean about the Chromecast. You realize it still has to be controlled by your phone/tablet, right? Harmony will do the input switching of course, but can't control the device.
Yes, what I meant was say switch from the Netflix app to the harmony app and back.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:38 pm

makryger wrote:Well Chromecast also has hdmi cec, so it can switch to the proper input automatically.
Which is nice but the Xbox doesn't so I need to swap inputs anytime I go back to it.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Shackleford wrote:
makryger wrote:Well Chromecast also has hdmi cec, so it can switch to the proper input automatically.
Which is nice but the Xbox doesn't so I need to swap inputs anytime I go back to it.
You may be missing something in your HDMI-CEC settings. My Sony TV automatically switches back to the previous input when a device is shut off. Moot point anyway, since you'll have to disable HDMI-CEC when you get a Harmony remote.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:54 pm

mdavej wrote:
Shackleford wrote:
You may be missing something in your HDMI-CEC settings. My Sony TV automatically switches back to the previous input when a device is shut off. Moot point anyway, since you'll have to disable HDMI-CEC when you get a Harmony remote.
I run everything through my reciever and the chromecast doesn't shut off unless the TV is off.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Just saw on another site that 1sale is selling a refurbished smart control system for $70. I've been thinking off and on about getting one of these, and I probably still can't justify it right now.

However, I was wondering if anyone Media Center folks have experience with the included remote. In particular, it only has fwd and rwd buttons (no separate skip ahead/back button). Can you do everything you need to with media center- ie, the trick play junk- fwd,rwd, holding skip forward to bring up the preview window etc?

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:53 pm

I did pick this up and I'm liking it so far. The buttons can be remapped on the my harmony site. I made the green and yellow buttons my skip buttons. The remote is Bluetooth and doesn't require line of sight either.
Last edited by Shackleford on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:00 pm

ah cool, thanks, that's an easy fix. I'm going to be tempted by this all day. I still hear people complain about 1sale a lot, but not me (yet). Long ship times but I can deal with that.