Cousin's new TV - not enough inputs, seeking input.

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
JTScribe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cousin's new TV - not enough inputs, seeking input.

Post by JTScribe » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:18 am

My cousin got a new TV for Christmas. The television has two HDMI ports, a component port, and a coaxial port.

She has a Wii (component), a VCR (composite), and a cable box (coax). As such she's having to switch back forth when she wants to play games or watch movies.

I'm thinking I can connect the VCR over coax, keep using the Wii on component.

The TV box is a Comcast HD box anyway (I don't know why the cable guy didn't set her up with an HD connection). It doesn't have HDMI out. Can I use a cable like this (http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-HDMI-RCA ... =pd_cp_e_0) to take the component out from the cable box and plug into the HDMI of her TV?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:25 am

No.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:29 am

Okay . . . any other ideas? Switch box?

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:31 am

http://www.amazon.com/Component-video-Y ... nt+to+hdmi

Would that work? I can hook the Wii up through that, use component from the cable box, and then use coax with the VCR . . .

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:48 am

The only thing I would consider is replacing the cable box with an HDMI one, which should be free.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 am

Yeah, I wouldn't connect anything over "coax" (I assume you mean the 75-ohm "F" connector)... except maybe the VCR (anyone still has one?).

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:00 am

Toss the VCR into the relic bin where it belongs....replace the cable box with something made after the year 2001. Send the kid to his room with a TV and the Wii.

All are viable solutions.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:43 am

I refused to buy a DVD player until one day when I walked into Blockbuster (I didn't visit them very often because of their prices, their policy of forcing you to return a "3-day rental" in 2 days, and their ridiculous late fees... and now they're gone too) and they had sold all but a few of their VHS tapes. That was the day that I decided that VHS had finally been replaced, and I bought a Sony 5-disc carousel DVD changer (and an HDTV, and an AVR with Dolby-Digital & DTS, and an HD projector, and a 120 motorized screen). That was sometime in 2002-2003.

The moral of the story? If you still have a VCR, it's time to upgrade (and have those old home movies duplicated onto DVD).

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:27 am

Wii doesn't support HD, so there's really no reason to keep it on component. You can buy an adapter to convert it to an HDMI signal however, and that would likely solve your problem.

So you can do:

HDMI(1) - For the DVD/Blu-Ray she is hopefully buying soon to replace the VCR.
HDMI(2) - Wii via HDMI adapter
Component - Cable box
Coax - VCR

I'm not endorsing this exact item, but this is the type of thing you need (do some research and see what people are using)
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Converter-Ada ... roduct_top

Also, are you absolutely positive there is no composite input on the TV? Even on newer models having no composite is pretty rare. Sometimes they are just in a different spot than the rest (like on the side or other end of the TV).

Another option is to get a component selector box, to split the two devices and use the same component input. I have had random luck with these things, but it should work for her:
http://www.amazon.com/4X1-HD-Component- ... B000BVIBGI

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 am

Lucky,

Most TVs nowadays are combining component/composite inputs into one physical set of plugs. The TV either autosenses what's plugged in, or you tell it via the menu what to look for and adapt to for those particular wires that are plugged in.

Cheapskates.

Anyway, I imagine if the OP looks hard enough he'll discover this nuance. It doesn't solve any problems, but at least he'll know.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 pm

adam1991 wrote:Lucky,

Most TVs nowadays are combining component/composite inputs into one physical set of plugs. The TV either autosenses what's plugged in, or you tell it via the menu what to look for and adapt to for those particular wires that are plugged in.

Cheapskates.

Anyway, I imagine if the OP looks hard enough he'll discover this nuance. It doesn't solve any problems, but at least he'll know.
Yes, it has a bonded component/composite. That's actually how the Wii is hooked up. BTW my cousin is 40, she's not a kid, LOL.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:28 pm

LuckyDay wrote:Wii doesn't support HD, so there's really no reason to keep it on component. You can buy an adapter to convert it to an HDMI signal however, and that would likely solve your problem.
Wii Does support 480P, however, which you can only get through component, not composite, s-video, or RF (coax).

I imagine you can pick up a used AVR which will upgrade everything to HDMI for under $100. My last VCR was a high-end Sony that got to the point where I had to have it serviced every 2 years to keep it working until it finally died in 2004 (used it to watch demo tapes at work). I imagine your cousin has taken really good care of her VCR if it is still functional!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Some early HD cable boxes had DVI. If yours does, you can use an HDMI-DVI cable plus Red/White audio and free up your component input.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:58 pm

mdavej wrote:Some early HD cable boxes had DVI. If yours does, you can use an HDMI-DVI cable plus Red/White audio and free up your component input.
if he also needs component or composite, that won't work. The HDMI will take video and the red/white will take audio, but those red/white are shared with the component video inputs as well.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:47 pm

JTScribe wrote:My cousin got a new TV for Christmas. The television has two HDMI ports, a component port, and a coaxial port.

She has a Wii (component), a VCR (composite), and a cable box (coax). As such she's having to switch back forth when she wants to play games or watch movies.

I'm thinking I can connect the VCR over coax, keep using the Wii on component.

The TV box is a Comcast HD box anyway (I don't know why the cable guy didn't set her up with an HD connection). It doesn't have HDMI out. Can I use a cable like this (http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-HDMI-RCA ... =pd_cp_e_0) to take the component out from the cable box and plug into the HDMI of her TV?
Again, the only sensible thing to do is trade in the "Comcast HD box" lacking HDMI for a "Comcast HD box" that has HDMI. If they are like my cable provider and have the same policy I understand every cable provider to have, it won't cost a thing, unlike the other proposals, and it will solve the problem completely. If this cannot be done for some reason, then there will be more to talk about, but until then, /thread. Jeez. :lol:

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:41 pm

This was back in 2009, but I was able to go to my local Comcast office and exchange my component box with a HDMI box, without any hassle.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 am

I am surprised no one mentioned any of the many products that Monoprice has (just be sure to use paypal with them... ;) )

http://www.monoprice.com

search for "HDMI switch"... They have MANY products one of which will definitly meet your requirements.

and if its the component port that needs additional inputs, part #3027, otherwise search for "component switch".

They also have many converters

I (and probably many others here) have used many of their devices... :-)

[some have remotes to make input switching easier/ some have CEC ... can be integrated with many of the learning remotes like the harmonys...]
Time is on my side.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Yep, they even have some switches that can learn the IR commands from your existing remote.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:08 pm

TeddyR wrote:I am surprised no one mentioned any of the many products that Monoprice has
I did, five days ago.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 am

New cable box did the trick. The phone CSR was clueless but when she went down to the office with an HDMI cable I gave her, they gave her a new box immediately.