Issue with latest Netgear firmware for ProSafe switch

Talk about setting up your home network.
kd6icz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Issue with latest Netgear firmware for ProSafe switch

Post by kd6icz » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:36 am

I installed a new router yesterday and thought it would be a good time to "clean up" my IP address table in my network. I also checked for any firmware updates and found Netgear released 2.0.1.26 for my JGS524Ev2 (24 port ProSafe unmanaged gigabit switch). The make 5, 8, and 16 port versions in this lineup as well and I would assume it applies to all.

As soon as I upgraded the firmware my 360's were unable to talk to my WMC PC. With all the changes I made yesterday that was the last thing I suspected would be the culprit until I read the change log on the release notes. It's one of these "fixes" and I would say the second one is the most suspicious...

Fixed the problem that switch configuration can be obtained through HTTP without login to the device.

Fixed the problem that TCP connection cannot be established when TCP header Push (PSH) flag is set (PSH bit = 1) with TCP SYN or FIN flag is also set.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:20 pm

Wow, that's a bummer. Interesting that you isolated it to the switch, but neither "fix" you listed would appear to be a problem. In fact, if I read the 2nd fix correctly, it should only enable better and more connections, not block any.

Do you know what the installed release was on the switch? Maybe you skipped several releases (and change notices) when moving up to 2.0.1.26?

My previous experience with 360's being unable to reach WMC has been around NetBEUI/NetBIOS and broadcast traffic being blocked by a switch. I'm pretty sure MS media center still uses these ancient (pre TCP) protocols to transfer MC stuff. And some routers don't let it through. This seems to happen more when you have the 360 separated by 2 hops (or more) from the HTPC. Did you do any re-wiring during your network clean up the other day? Did you add any hops to your connection paths?

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:11 pm

DrSmith wrote:Did you do any re-wiring during your network clean up the other day? Did you add any hops to your connection paths?
No. I simply removed old router and installed The new one in the exact same connections. I pre-provisioned all the settings on the router before installing (i.e. dedicated IP's and stuff like that). The new router has resolved the very weird issue I was having with the old router. But the new router has created a new issue. I can't access my PLEX server from the outside anymore. No matter what I do. I've tried manually opening various ports but none seem to let traffic thru.

So I might be returning the new router.

DanH

Post by DanH » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:02 pm

There should be no routing between your PC and the 360s. They should all be on LAN ports which do switching but not routing.

I always put all Media Center devices, whenever possible, on the same switch to reduce switching problems. NetBIOS runs on top of any protocol including TCP/IP but it does not cross routers. It is highly unlikely that a switch update is causing the problem, but it is possible. I would test the following to determine where the problem exists:

1) Test that the switch is the culprit...connect the PC and a 360 into the ports on the router and test connectivity. If it works, then the switch is the likely culprit.
2) Test that the router introduced the problem...connect the PC and a 360 into the ports on the switch and disconnect all other devices...and test connectivity. If this is successful then it is the router or another device causing the problem.
Was Danh_HP_m376n

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:07 am

So, what are the results of the test? The router or the switch? Or did you fix it?

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:38 pm

Crash2009 wrote:So, what are the results of the test? The router or the switch? Or did you fix it?
It's for sure the firmware of the switch. I ended up putting my old router back (to get PLEX working outside of my network again) and still using the previous version of firmware in the switch everything normalized. With everything working I then upgraded the firmware on the switch and just a couple of minutes after that completed, WMC couldn't talk to tuners. Getting the "no signal" error over and over. So I backed the firmware down to the previous again, all is happy and working again.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:44 pm

kd6icz wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:So, what are the results of the test? The router or the switch? Or did you fix it?
It's for sure the firmware of the switch. I ended up putting my old router back (to get PLEX working outside of my network again) and still using the previous version of firmware in the switch everything normalized. With everything working I then upgraded the firmware on the switch and just a couple of minutes after that completed, WMC couldn't talk to tuners. Getting the "no signal" error over and over. So I backed the firmware down to the previous again, all is happy and working again.
I just finished skipping through the firmware install over at Netgear. Did you upgrade the Configuration Utility to v2.3.5 (this has to be done prior to the firmware)? It appears that the PC with the Configuration Utility installed, is the "Brains" behind the uPnP feature of the switch.

I just got paged.... gotta go

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:30 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
kd6icz wrote:
I just finished skipping through the firmware install over at Netgear. Did you upgrade the Configuration Utility to v2.3.5 (this has to be done prior to the firmware)? It appears that the PC with the Configuration Utility installed, is the "Brains" behind the uPnP feature of the switch.

I just got paged.... gotta go
I don't use the configuration utility. I just use the web gui built into the switch.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:22 am

Install the Configuration Utility, go to System > Maintenance > Firmware Upgrade.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... ec2012.pdf

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/JGS524E

You got to use the Product Drill-Down to get to your switch.
Attachments
ProSafe001.jpg

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:33 pm

I'll give it a try later. The truth is there's really no need to bother with it because my system is working fine as it is.

I don't really see how the configuration utility would make any difference when the intelligence is built into the switch. I used it when I first configured it and then realized it was exactly the same as the built in web GUI. I'll report back what happens.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Well if you would take the time to read your manual you would find that install Configuration utility is step one a little farther down the page page 20 how to install firmware so your disagreement is not with me it's with Netgear maybe you should let them know that they're full of beans and that it's not necessary to install the Configuration utility and that they provided you with some messed-up firmware is the reason why you can't upgrade

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:52 pm

Sheesh Crash2009, you seem a little hard on the guy here. Maybe I missed something on this thread, but it reads like kd6icz is able to upgrade and downgrade his switch and his problem comes with the upgrade. And he IS able to upgrade without the Configuration utility, but afterwards 360's don't work. Am I missing something - like the upgrade does not work at all? - no data passing through the switch? Or just no 360 <-> WMC connects?

I have owned a Netgear WiFi Router for several years, never installed the Windows based "Configuration Utility" and successfully updated the router firmware. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't want to use network products that require anything other than a native web interface to control them. PC based management software just adds layers of confusion and "wizards" that bug the heck out of me.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:38 pm

If you read the release notes for all the various versions of firmware....it appears that there were no special requirements for the first 3 firmware's. Starting with Version 2.0.1.24, they suggest NOTE: The Plus Utility also needs to be updated to version 2.3.1 or newer. Since 2.0.1.26 is the latest version, it would be assumable that it needs 2.3.1 or newer also.

Once again, you have to use the Drill-Down and select the correct switch model to see this. The link only takes you to the JGS524E you need to Drill-Down to get to the JGS524Ev2

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/JGS524E
Attachments
ProSafe002.JPG
ProSafe001.JPG

Yamashta

Post by Yamashta » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:51 am

It's great to hear that it's working again. You can try to install the new router https://www.tp-link.com/ph/home-network ... cher-ax95/ back and see if similar issues still exist. Sometimes, simply restarting the affected devices such as Xbox 360 devices and WMC PC can resolve connectivity issues by refreshing network connections and configurations.