Ceton vs HDPrime

Talk about setting up your home network.
squidboy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton vs HDPrime

Post by squidboy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Not sure f this is the right place to post this. if its not i apologize

so i'm gonna be building a new htpc and putting everything into a 4U server case to be mounted in a rack. Im currently running 2 infinitv 4 cards in my current setup. 4 tuners wasn't enough but 6 will do. so i was going to get a single infinitv 6 card. i have had my setup for a while and run into little problems sometimes but just attributed them to either WMC itself, tv signal issues or cable card problems and i was able to deal with them. but i was reading reviews on the infinitv 6 card and there seems to be problems with that one too and people have mentioned the home run prime as being better. but the only downfall i can find in my opinion is there is only 3 tuners and its an external device.

So what i'm wondering is one better then the other. Im wondering if my issues all stem from the ceton cards being subpar

Thanks
Steve

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:07 am

I would say that the SDHRP is the better solution. I have used ITV4 for many years and was one of the original pre orders and just set up a SDHRP after pledging for their kickstarter. The SDHRP doesn't suffer many of the signal, tuning speed, software bugs or usability issues the ITVs seem to suffer from. Also when rebooting the SDHRP takes only a few seconds to initialize as opposed to 2 minutes or more with the Ceton. You also don't have to wait for the tuning adapter to pair after reboot either. The reliability of 2 SDHRPs with 2 CCs and TAs over 1 PCI or ETH ITV will pay for itself. Even with the signal drop from having cabling and with the extra equipment will likely be better than what many users here experience with their Ceton tuners.

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:28 am

squidboy wrote:Not sure f this is the right place to post this. if its not i apologize

so i'm gonna be building a new HTPC and putting everything into a 4U server case to be mounted in a rack. Im currently running 2 infinitv 4 cards in my current setup. 4 tuners wasn't enough but 6 will do. so i was going to get a single infinitv 6 card. i have had my setup for a while and run into little problems sometimes but just attributed them to either WMC itself, tv signal issues or cable card problems and i was able to deal with them. but i was reading reviews on the infinitv 6 card and there seems to be problems with that one too and people have mentioned the home run prime as being better. but the only downfall i can find in my opinion is there is only 3 tuners and its an external device.

So what i'm wondering is one better then the other. Im wondering if my issues all stem from the ceton cards being subpar

Thanks
Steve
I had one of those Ceton "InfiniTV" things that connected with USB a while ago. One problem after another. So I bought two HDHR Primes. I had some problems like 2 years ago, but their last few firmwares have been flawless. I can't even remember the last problem.

That being said, those Ceton Echos are second to none for extenders in my experience. It's a shame they shut down production so early.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:19 am

GreenMachine wrote:I had one of those Ceton "InfiniTV" things that connected with USB a while ago. One problem after another. So I bought two HDHR Primes. I had some problems like 2 years ago, but their last few firmwares have been flawless. I can't even remember the last problem.

That being said, those Ceton Echos are second to none for extenders in my experience. It's a shame they shut down production so early.
Agreed and agreed.

I had an original InfiiTV4 PCIe, and it ran great for five years--and then something happened, don't know what, but it quit working. (I eventually came to suspect the pigtail, but that was long afterward.) I decided to execute on my plans to move away from pay TV and go OTA, so I did so with SD HDHR. Three of them. They work great.

Were I to go back to pay TV, I would do a HDHR Prime, and live with three tuners--either that, or get two of them and live with the bill for the second cableCARD.

Frankly, right now with OTA so much of what I want is on Hulu (paid, no ads) the next day. All I *really* need the DVR for is CBS. And even with that, I could use PS Vue and its DVR. I'm trying it out now, just because. In fact, if I wanted to go back to pay TV whole hog I would go PS Vue all the way. Its interface is a bit clunky but it works, and so does its DVR. There's always something in "My Shows" for me to watch.

Man, how the world has changed in just a few years.

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:52 pm

adam1991 wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:I had one of those Ceton "InfiniTV" things that connected with USB a while ago. One problem after another. So I bought two HDHR Primes. I had some problems like 2 years ago, but their last few firmwares have been flawless. I can't even remember the last problem.

Agreed and agreed.

I had an original InfiiTV4 PCIe, and it ran great for five years--and then something happened, don't know what, but it quit working. (I eventually came to suspect the pigtail, but that was long afterward.) I decided to execute on my plans to move away from pay TV and go OTA, so I did so with SD HDHR. Three of them. They work great.

Were I to go back to pay TV, I would do a HDHR Prime, and live with three tuners--either that, or get two of them and live with the bill for the second cableCARD.

Frankly, right now with OTA so much of what I want is on Hulu (paid, no ads) the next day. All I *really* need the DVR for is CBS. And even with that, I could use PS Vue and its DVR. I'm trying it out now, just because. In fact, if I wanted to go back to pay TV whole hog I would go PS Vue all the way. Its interface is a bit clunky but it works, and so does its DVR. There's always something in "My Shows" for me to watch.

Man, how the world has changed in just a few years.
Truthfully the only reason I have cable right now is my provider (VZ FIOS) sets up their bundles where TV is either $5 a month or free with internet. If I could get a meaningful break by doing straight internet, tv would be LONG gone.

I also have an original HDHR on my network, that I bought like TEN years ago. STILL works, and that's what provides my OTA channels, which I might add have a better picture than the same channels on FIOS. If I didn't have the Win 7 server running I'd upgrade it to a new OTA HDHR, but it's just not necessary at this point. But the Win 7 box should be around a long while. You just can't beat practically unlimited DVR space.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:54 pm

GreenMachine wrote:But the Win 7 box should be around a long while. You just can't beat practically unlimited DVR space.
speaking of keeping Win7 around a long while:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/31 ... patch.html

'Zeffy' figures out a way to undo Microsoft's no-support-on-new-silicon policy; posts results on GitHub

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:25 am

adam1991 wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:But the Win 7 box should be around a long while. You just can't beat practically unlimited DVR space.
speaking of keeping Win7 around a long while:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/31 ... patch.html

'Zeffy' figures out a way to undo Microsoft's no-support-on-new-silicon policy; posts results on GitHub
Oh that's fine by me, lol. I don't update WMC but maybe once a year. When I do, I take an image of the OS/boot drive first. If I ever encounter so much as one problem it will get rolled right back.

The only thing that could screw us is some sort of change to cablecards that would require an OS update to address. Fingers crossed. Because that will likely be the end.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:01 am

GreenMachine wrote: The only thing that could screw us is some sort of change to cablecards that would require an OS update to address. Fingers crossed. Because that will likely be the end.
They nailed us pretty good with the Anniversary Update. We had WMC (DRM channels as well) working in Win10 10586. AU (14393) comes in and broke All CableCARD Tuners.

https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threa ... st-1274095

I did get non DRM CableCARD channels working in AU (14393), unfortunately this was as far as I could get, had to go back to work.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 43#p109643

The point is....they have shut down CableCARD tuners as of AU 14393