WTV files not appearing in Recorded TV after moving to NAS

Talk about setting up your home network.

HTPC Specs: Show details

WTV files not appearing in Recorded TV after moving to NAS

Post by 1454 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:33 am

Hi,

I have 2x 2tb hdds on the HTPC and one 3 TB and one 4 TB attached via USBs. So locally I can "see" the recorded shows in from each of those drives in the recorded TV screen, but if I move a show to the 3tb drive in the NSA320 that is mapped to a "z:" drive, the recording disappears. I need to move some stuff off one of the on board 2tb drives, but I can't figure out why they disappear from the recorded TV screen when I move them onto the nsa320. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:04 am

My most obvious question, is the Z: drive folder added to the WMC Recorded TV media library?
-Alan

Post by 1454 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:50 pm

webminster wrote:My most obvious question, is the Z: drive folder added to the WMC Recorded TV media library?
Yes. I added the "Recorded TV" folder first, then added the entire contents (checked the box for the whole z drive) when that didn't work.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:42 pm

Is it possible to view rec TV on a NAS box? I ask due to the differing file structure (i.e. not NTFS) and permissions stored thereon.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Post by 1454 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 pm

STC wrote:Is it possible to view rec TV on a NAS box? I ask due to the differing file structure (i.e. not NTFS) and permissions stored thereon.
I think it shows, iirc, the few movies I have on there in the movies folder. I can double check tonight or tomorrow.
I may be thinking it can do something it can't. I know just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to really fix problems that arise.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 pm

I should rephrase: is it possible for Media Center to use files stored on a NAS?

It could very well be possible, but I have no first hand experience sorry.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Post by 1454 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:38 pm

STC wrote:I should rephrase: is it possible for Media Center to use files stored on a NAS?

It could very well be possible, but I have no first hand experience sorry.
Sorry, I understood you the first time. I just think it shows other things in the movie folder. It may not be possible to view recorded TV from the nsa because I can't record there. I know for a fact that WMC can't record to the drive.

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:50 pm

So, I've experimented a little with this... I don't have experience with your ZyXEL NAS, but I've seen this work. Yes, I believe it's generally not possible to record directly to the NAS, but I've seen strategies that record locally, then use a mover like MCEBuddy to move the files to the NAS. They can show up if you've added the NAS's recorded TV folder to to media center library for recorded TV.

I just did a test where I created a "Recorded TV" folder on another Windows box, added that folder to the WMC library (as a network location, not as a mapped drive). Copied a recorded TV program into that folder. It does pop into the recorded TV view on the HTPC and is playable.

In my case I have to login to the remote share (user/pass) to get there... does your mapped drive just work, or does it prompt for credentials?

The directory you're adding to the Recorded TV library is the same topology as on the WMC machine, correct? Just a flat folder with all the .wtv files inside?
-Alan

Post by 1454 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:08 am

webminster wrote:So, I've experimented a little with this... I don't have experience with your ZyXEL NAS, but I've seen this work. Yes, I believe it's generally not possible to record directly to the NAS, but I've seen strategies that record locally, then use a mover like MCEBuddy to move the files to the NAS. They can show up if you've added the NAS's recorded TV folder to to media center library for recorded TV.

I just did a test where I created a "Recorded TV" folder on another Windows box, added that folder to the WMC library (as a network location, not as a mapped drive). Copied a recorded TV program into that folder. It does pop into the recorded TV view on the HTPC and is playable.

In my case I have to login to the remote share (user/pass) to get there... does your mapped drive just work, or does it prompt for credentials?

The directory you're adding to the Recorded TV library is the same topology as on the WMC machine, correct? Just a flat folder with all the .wtv files inside?
I had to enter credentials when I mapped the nsa to the "z" location. But now it just works. It shows up everytime under my computer and I can move files on and off the drive just as I do my USB drives. It does the drive as a network drive though.

Also there is a folder on the z drive named recorded TV, just like my d, e, f, g, and h drives. However it is currently empty because every time I move a show over to that drive it disappears from the recorded list. But as soon as I add it back to any other drive it immediately shows back up. So i think this is what you mean by topology? I hope I understood the question correctly. It's just a folder named recorded TV on the z drive that us referenced in the media section of media center. And it has no problem finding the location to put a check by indicating that I have media there. I just try and move my wtv files over and the disappear from media center.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:36 pm

By topology, was just referring to the files inside like the other recorded TV folders, no file name changes, no subfolders. Sounds like what you're doing.

Unfortunately nothing WMC related is coming to mind... My tests using a network share from another Windows7 box do work as expected (files pop out and into existence on the recorded tv list as they move around), I know others do similar with NAS and copy processes. I assume the files are showing in your Explorer window as you drop the files in, just not seeing them display in WMC. Do they show up after copy if you restart WMC (indicating it's an issue with WMC seeing the library change)?

Is hard to say if this is an issue specific to the NAS your using, have no way to comment on that unfortunately.
-Alan
-Alan

Post by 1454 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:10 am

webminster wrote:By topology, was just referring to the files inside like the other recorded TV folders, no file name changes, no subfolders. Sounds like what you're doing.

Unfortunately nothing WMC related is coming to mind... My tests using a network share from another Windows7 box do work as expected (files pop out and into existence on the recorded tv list as they move around), I know others do similar with NAS and copy processes. I assume the files are showing in your Explorer window as you drop the files in, just not seeing them display in WMC. Do they show up after copy if you restart WMC (indicating it's an issue with WMC seeing the library change)?

Is hard to say if this is an issue specific to the NAS your using, have no way to comment on that unfortunately.
-Alan
Thanks Alan. I think it might be NAS related. I noticed so permission issues last night when poking around. I don't have the ability to give the htpc full control over the folder, so I think this might be my issue. Thanks for your help.