RDP connection kills audio playback WHS 2011

Talk about setting up your home network.
cw-kid

HTPC Specs: Show details

RDP connection kills audio playback WHS 2011

Post by cw-kid » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi

When ever I start a Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) from my Windows 7 laptop to the WHS 2011 box, the audio playback on the WHS stops.

I have in the RDP client settings on the Win7 laptop ticked: "Play on remote computer"

I have the Spotify desktop app running on the WHS 2011 box which has a USB sound card and is connected to an amp / speakers.
This is controlled remotely using a mobile app for Spotify etc.

If Spotify is playing on the server and for some reason I RDP in to the server from my Win7 laptop, then the audio on the server stops and the Spotify app says there is a problem with your sound card.

How can you start an RDP session but leave alone the audio on the server?

I've tried changing various settings on the client and server side but nothing seems to work.

Or should I just use VNC for admin tasks and forget about RDP.

Many thanks.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cw-kid » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Hello All,
We hear loud and clear the effect of the regression introduced in WS2008 regarding "Play audio at remote computer" (AKA Leave Audio at Remote computer).
In the meantime there is a workaround (albeit not perfect).
On the server go to Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) and Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration (Terminal Services configuration)
Click on "Restrict each user to a single session". In the UI panel uncheck "Restrict each user to a single session"
Connect to the server with "Play (Leave) audio at the remote computer" Use the same user credentials. You will be connected to a duplicate session and audio playing back through the server's audio card on the original console session will not be interrupted. This is not perfect as you will not be able to add/modify the music you are currently playing.
Shuba
[MSFT]

This work around works, when you RDP in to the server the music playback on the server continues and you then have access to the server desktop for administration purposes etc.
However as Shuba said if you wanted to control the music application you cannot as your in a different session.
Looks like VNC is the answer then?
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle