Network Adapter constantly needs to be reset

Talk about setting up your home network.
norain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Network Adapter constantly needs to be reset

Post by norain » Mon May 26, 2014 5:12 am

I've been experiencing some really weird network problems since rebuilding my pc (swapping out the motherboard). I use 2 xbox extenders and windows 7 home premium. Whenever I use an xbox 360 as an extender and I turn it off, it makes me disable and renable my network card before I can use any web browser on my main pc. Trying to troubleshoot myself I went in and disabled power saving on the network adapter (Realtek gigabit built into an asus motherboard). I tried messing with the global task offload settings on the network adapter (which crushed my internet speed while streaming to an xbox 360) I was getting a 40 megabit download speed while streaming to an xbox 360 and it went down to a 2 megabit connection, but I still have the problem if i try to stream to multiple devices or if I interrupt a stream it will basically kill my network card on my pc until i disable and renable it. Any ideas on what is going on? I did also try another network adapter just for giggles and I get the same exact issue.

barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Questions:

1) Did you do a fresh install of Windows after you replaced the motherboard? If not, you should do so. Reinstalling Windows will cause you to lose any copy-protected recordings, but you really should reinstall if you replaced the motherboard (unless you replaced it with an identical motherboard).

2) Are both the old and new NIC gigabit, or was the old one 100 megabit?

3) What anti-virus software are you using?

4) What firewall software are you using?

5) What anti-malware software are you using?

6) Did you install the latest chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturer?

7) Did you install the latest NIC drivers from the NIC manufacturer? (NOT the motherboard manufacturer)