Streaming has gone to heck

Talk about setting up your home network.
Venom51

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Venom51 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:48 am

Doesn't the Ceton build a network bridge as part of it's setup. Is it possible there is indeed something wrong with the Ceton hardware.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Venom51 wrote:Doesn't the Ceton build a network bridge as part of it's setup. Is it possible there is indeed something wrong with the Ceton hardware.
When network sharing of the Ceton card is setup, it is bridging the Ceton card to the NIC. But, the OP says that it plays fine on the display that is connected to his PC, but not on the extenders. The extenders don't connect directly to the tuner.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:47 pm

The tuner can probably be removed from the equation since the recorded programming does not work either? Unless the tuner is creating a problem file some how? Did the OP ever try and play a recorded file that was fairly old?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:52 pm

What I was getting at with the tuner temp is that it could be causing the data to be corrupted in a way that doesn't affect the video card, but does affect the XBox. I have seen it the other way around, so I suppose it's possible.

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:09 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Hmmm... that's just normal MPEG-2. You might have a reception problem on the InfiniTV. Have you checked the signal strength and SNR on that channel?
What do you mean by that just normal mpeg-2, should it be mpeg-4?

While watching hockey directly on my media center pc, it wasn't all that great either. I used to have Shark Codecs installed, but removed them. Might this be part of the problem?

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't think Shark touches wtv files. I am not 100% tho. mpeg-2 is what is normally and should be working for you. Can you try an old file?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:41 pm

rldev wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:Hmmm... that's just normal MPEG-2. You might have a reception problem on the InfiniTV. Have you checked the signal strength and SNR on that channel?

While watching hockey directly on my media center PC, it wasn't all that great either. I used to have Shark Codecs installed, but removed them. Might this be part of the problem?
It can be either MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 (aka H.264). My point was that some people are reporting problems with the XBox playing cable channels that are encoded in MPEG-4 (H.264). Since your sample was MPEG-2, we can rule that out.

It's possible that you didn't correctly uninstall the Shark codec pack. Some codec packs don't completely remove themselves when you uninstall them. I don't know if Shark's pack has this problem or not. Did your problem start when you uninstalled it?

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:07 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
rldev wrote:

While watching hockey directly on my media center PC, it wasn't all that great either. I used to have Shark Codecs installed, but removed them. Might this be part of the problem?
It can be either MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 (aka H.264). My point was that some people are reporting problems with the XBox playing cable channels that are encoded in MPEG-4 (H.264). Since your sample was MPEG-2, we can rule that out.

It's possible that you didn't correctly uninstall the Shark codec pack. Some codec packs don't completely remove themselves when you uninstall them. I don't know if Shark's pack has this problem or not. Did your problem start when you uninstalled it?
I can't say for certain. It wasn't something that was immediately noticeable. I will try to install them again to see what happens.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:12 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:What I was getting at with the tuner temp is that it could be causing the data to be corrupted in a way that doesn't affect the video card, but does affect the XBox. I have seen it the other way around, so I suppose it's possible.
Both the screen caps showed corrupted frames being reported by Media Center. Linear video is not tolerant of much that doesn't show up on the screen.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:14 pm

I checked mine last night and I had corruption to so I don't think that's a problem I think its probably normal to have some bad frames? I was searching for a mpeg-4 codec but could not find a channel using it yet. I am nervous about how the echo will work on that format.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Check the thread below. There are two WTV files linked in that thread which you can download. Both are H.264 (MPEG-4).

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=8&t=5983

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:23 pm

The echo with the March 20th Beta firmware still on it handle this file great, the March 4th version no so much. And I don't think Ceton is putting out more firmware's :(

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

There were two files. One in post #10 and one in post #20.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:13 am

IownFIVEechos wrote:I checked mine last night and I had corruption to so I don't think that's a problem I think its probably normal to have some bad frames? I was searching for a mpeg-4 codec but could not find a channel using it yet. I am nervous about how the echo will work on that format.
Could be the first couple frames aren't complete as the stream is setup I guess.

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Well, I reset the tcp stack on the media center pc. I also removed existing nvidia drivers and re-installed, I tried several different network cards and no improvement. I disabled just about every startup app including firewall, windows defender, etc. All to no avail. Two things I noticed.

1. The system is unplayable from an extender over wifi. Freezes immediately with a great signal and good throughput.

2. When connected via cat 6, when I fast forward or rewind it gets locked up a bit. Also, fast video plays normally for about 10 seconds after a rewind or fast forward. The fast video then goes back to staggering.

Perhaps a clue? I don't know what to do at this point other than re-install the whole system.

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Well I have made some progress. Will have to go through a whole night of viewing to know for sure. I was able to watch my hockey recordings without constant stutter.
What did I do?
1. I saw I had show analyzer installed. I had forgot I had this installed. I uninstalled this.
2. I saw I had Ceton My Media Center installed. I had forgot I had this installed. I uninstalled this.
3. Cleaned up my registry and temp/cache files.

Not sure which helped. Maybe both. I will let you know the progress after tonight.

rldev

Post by rldev » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Well everything is now running fairly good. All recordings with the exception of premiums like HBO playback flawlessly. I still get some network issues on certain channels, but at least this is workable now.

Now I just have to solve the "Network Issue" popup on some channels and the recording artifacts on channels like HBO.

rldev

Post by rldev » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:16 pm

And just like that everything has gone to crap again. Getting network issues on my channels. Stuttering for sports like hockey is back(not always though). I think I need to find a different way to go about this or find something else to use. It's now impossible to watch TV again. Nothing new installed on the computer. I scanned the computer for malware, etc. I just can't understand why this is happening again.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:19 am

rldev wrote:And just like that everything has gone to crap again. Getting network issues on my channels. Stuttering for sports like hockey is back(not always though). I think I need to find a different way to go about this or find something else to use. It's now impossible to watch TV again. Nothing new installed on the computer. I scanned the computer for malware, etc. I just can't understand why this is happening again.
Just a long shot, but have you tested the power supply? or the ram? caps on the motherboard?

rldev

Post by rldev » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
rldev wrote:And just like that everything has gone to crap again. Getting network issues on my channels. Stuttering for sports like hockey is back(not always though). I think I need to find a different way to go about this or find something else to use. It's now impossible to watch TV again. Nothing new installed on the computer. I scanned the computer for malware, etc. I just can't understand why this is happening again.
Just a long shot, but have you tested the power supply? or the ram? caps on the motherboard?
I don't follow. I have no problems playing the content on the media center pc itself.