Cloud Backup Recommendations

Talk about setting up your home network.
rldev

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cloud Backup Recommendations

Post by rldev » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Seems like a stupid thread. But I have to ditch Crashplan. It just reeks havoc on my windows media center machine and network connected devices. Even if it is supposedly not running, it frequently causes freezes I have a 50GB connection and a wired gigabit network and no matter what I tweak in CrashPlan, problems continue. in streaming.I had to uninstall it to be problem free. I have tried carbonite for several years and that kind of sucked, especially when restoring files. Any recommendations?

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

eehhhmmm,

upgrade to Windows Server 2012 Essentials and use the Azure Online Backup Service?

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:01 pm

Not using windows home server. Win 7 64bit.

rdy2go

Post by rdy2go » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:17 pm

I use crashplan on my htpc without any issues. Perhaps modify the backup times to run at night or throttle back the upload rate?

I have (2) HDHR-3, (1) HD HomeRun Prime, and (2) DMA2200s. All haven't been hindered by running the crashplan service.

rldev

Post by rldev » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:19 pm

rdy2go wrote:I use crashplan on my htpc without any issues. Perhaps modify the backup times to run at night or throttle back the upload rate?

I have (2) HDHR-3, (1) HD HomeRun Prime, and (2) DMA2200s. All haven't been hindered by running the crashplan service.
I have tried everything to no avail. I know all the settings in CrashPlan. Sometimes it makes a difference, many times it doesn't. I had CrashPlan closed last night, but my network was still going crazy. I uninstalled it, all the problems go away. I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:04 am

When you close crashplan are you closing the app? or stopping the service? Also do you have crashplan monitoring your recorded tv folder? because that will absolutely kill your cpu and network bandwidth especially when it comes to live tv and more importantly when it comes to a networked tv tuner. How much memory do you have in your computer and how much are you uploading? crashplan REQUIRES 1gig of ram per TB that is being backed up. That is dedicated memory too. You need to dedicate that memory to the software. I have 5 gigs of memory dedicated just to crashplan and it works great. I have 7 cablecard tuners but I do not backup any of my tv recordings. Only my other media such as backedup movies and tv shows.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:18 am

rldev wrote:Not using windows home server. Win 7 64bit.
OK..

Add a Windows Server 2012 Essentials and use the Azure Online Backup Service?

.Nico

rldev

Post by rldev » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:25 pm

epayson85 wrote:When you close crashplan are you closing the app? or stopping the service? Also do you have crashplan monitoring your recorded tv folder? because that will absolutely kill your cpu and network bandwidth especially when it comes to live tv and more importantly when it comes to a networked tv tuner. How much memory do you have in your computer and how much are you uploading? crashplan REQUIRES 1gig of ram per TB that is being backed up. That is dedicated memory too. You need to dedicate that memory to the software. I have 5 gigs of memory dedicated just to crashplan and it works great. I have 7 cablecard tuners but I do not backup any of my tv recordings. Only my other media such as backedup movies and tv shows.
I am closing the app as in exiting it by right clicking on system tray icon and selecting exit. I am uploading less than a terrabyte and have 8GB of ram. I will have to check if I have it running on my tv folder. I currently have backblaze running and experience no such issues.

Cup

Post by Cup » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:50 am

.Nico wrote:Add a Windows Server 2012 Essentials and use the Azure Online Backup Service?

.Nico
Or, add a WS2012E box, and back that up with CrashPlan. ;)
(how do you go wrong with $50/year for unlimited storage? 8-) )
That's what I'm doing. And, it works fantastically.

I'll second the thought on not having CrashPlan monitoring the RecordedTV folder on a Media Center - that folder has a lot of 'big' files coming and going, and the TempRec folder (the Live TV buffer, located in the Recorded TV folder) is in a constant state of flux. I can see that pi$$ing CrashPlan off royally.
Last edited by Cup on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Cup
~~Nearly every day of my life is some kind of computer hell....

Click here for my system specs

rldev

Post by rldev » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I will try CP again. What do you folks have for a configuration like CP Network Settings and CPU resources.? What kind of Internet Access do you have?

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:23 pm

Cup wrote: (how do you go wrong with $50/year for unlimited storage? 8-) )
That's what I'm doing. And, it works fantastically.
Not trying to hijack.................but this really got my attention.
I'm looking for an online backup solution. Google drive, skydrive or whatever.
I think Google was the best from what I was looking at at $50/yr. for 100GB. This is unlimited for $60/yr. Now we're talking....

So with the one machine limitation:
Can I map drives to my other machines and then back them up?
Can I plug in huge external drives and have them back up?
What is the retention like (like my google address book where I can "roll back" to whatever time I want)?
Or is it just a mirror? If I delete it local, I delete it remote?
How configurable is the client for folder exclusions/inclusions?
Does the client, by some slim chance, have a data limitations? I only get 20GB of data/month. Once I get everything sync'd, I don't think I need to worry, but getting to that point might be hard.

My thought would be to have my always-on MCE computer be the one client. Map the C drives (or just users folders) of all the rest of my computers, and backup what I need. I'd have to leave the laptops on overnight now and then for that to work. I could also take my thumb drive and plug it into the MCE box now and then, allowing that to backup.

Thoughts?

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:39 pm

I can't say I have tested mapped drives but I would have to imagine it would work. Just realize what that is going to do to the bandwidth over your local network. Huge external hard drives yes, but you need to leave those drives plugged in. If they are gone long enough then crashplan assumes the files are gone as well. I believe retention is 30 days it may be 90. If you delete a file locally it stays on the cloud backup for 30 or 90 days its been a while since I read all the details. The configuration is GREAT. You can select the whole drive or individual folders to be monitored. There are no data limitations I literally uploaded non stop for 6 to 8 months getting my server backed up. The only thing as I have stated is you need a good 1gig of ram per Tb that you upload. The software is always monitoring all of that information so it needs a lot of resources to get it done. Believe me... it uses it. I have a good 6gigs of memory always being used on my server and the majority of it is being used by crashplan.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Cool. Thanks for the info.