Network Streaming Blu-Ray Stuttering issues

Talk about setting up your home network.
CBO

HTPC Specs: Show details

Network Streaming Blu-Ray Stuttering issues

Post by CBO » Mon May 06, 2013 1:08 pm

i'm having an issue with playing back blu-rays iso across my network stuttering. I think the issue is with the disks(WD Green Drive), the stuttering lessens when i optimize the disk but is still present. It could be a combination of things also. I looking to see if other people have issues streaming blu-rays with this drive.

I have:
Server WSE 2012
2 sata II western digital green drive 2TB in raid 0 on a gigbayte ga-ma785gm-us2h
6GB of Ram
Dual Core AMD Athalon X2

Network
Gigabit network Jumbo Frames at 9mtu
Cat5e wiring
Netgear JGS524 switch
Each machine is using Realtek GB Nic

HTPC: Win 7 Pro
Core i5 370K
Asus p8z77-vLX
8GB of Ram
Vertex SSD Boot
1 TB Toshiba HD

I'm thinking I should ditch the green drives and go with red drives and maybe a 3ware raid controller on the server. If anyone else is streaming Blu-ray iso across their network and overcame stuttering please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Caviar Green drives are plenty fast enough to handle a single Blu-ray stream, provided the drive is healthy and is not being overworked by some other application. You have to consider that a single Blu-ray stream is about the same as 2-3 TV streams, and Caviar Green drives are known to handle at least 8 TV streams simultaneously. And to top it off, you are running RAID 0, which decreases the workload to each drive.

CBO

Post by CBO » Tue May 07, 2013 11:30 am

Thats what I thought! So maybe the (softraid) on the Mobo? When streaming looking at prefmon disk transfers will drop to 0/mbs then creep up to 3/mbs. I just tried upgrading the motherboard raid drives and bios last night a little improvement was shown but still stuttering takes place. I am really hoping to avoid spending money an a real raid controller.

CBO

Post by CBO » Fri May 10, 2013 10:55 am

OK I really thinks its time to upgrade the Raid Im and getting these errors in the event log

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.

Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolume102'. This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot. The final status was 0xC03A001C.