Experience with HDMI over ethernet ?

Talk about setting up your home network.
jagrime2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Experience with HDMI over ethernet ?

Post by jagrime2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:04 pm

I am considering moving my HTPC into the basement about 50ft from my main tv (mostly for aesthetics and to avoid fan noise). I want to continue to use the HTPC on my main tv for playing dvd/bluray rips. I am looking at various HDMI options at monoprice and was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these products or can suggest other options (I want to be able to maintain full HD audio and 1080p picture).

I was planning on going the route of the HDMI cable but the idea of running a cat 6 wire has me intrigued. Does anyone have any experience with that type of product?

Option 1 is a 50-ft one-way HDMI cablehttp://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
Option 2 is HDMI over cat6 cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:29 pm

I used to use a 15 metre HDMI cable with an RF remote PC without issue....
Lee

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:21 am

I have used a 25ft HDMI with good results, and everything I hear about the Cat6 option is that it works fine as well. I don't think you'll have a problem with either route.

rabbit1543

Post by rabbit1543 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:17 pm

I have been contemplating this myself as well. The problem with just using and HDMI cable is how will you plan on controlling the PC? Do you have a IR or RF remote? IF you have an IR remote you will also need to extend that. If you have a RF remote, is the range good enough? , you could try this,though it doesnt seem to support 3D
http://sewelldirect.com/IR-Injector-Kit-For-HDMI.asp

The monoprice ethernet extender you show looks like a nice option but you will need to run two ethernet cables, which may not be a big deal and it seems cost effective. I dont know if 3D is something you need but it doesnt look like this supports 3D. I say its worth a shot. If you are looking into something of higher quality atlona is a pretty good company and but they can be pricey. They offer a variety of devices http://www.atlona.com

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:55 pm

I do have a Harmony remote with RF but I am doubtful that it will work from my living room to the basement. I think I am going to try running a pair of cat6 wires and use the HDMI adapter with the IR to test it out. I am guessing the IR adapter may not give me full function with my remote control -- that is my concern.

I have never seen the IR over HDMI adapter before-- seems like a great option although it is pricey.

Tester

Post by Tester » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 am

In regards to the remote, there is another option. U could use a USB CEC Adapter so that the TV remote can then be used to control MCE through the hdmi port.

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/produc ... apter.aspx

tad

Post by tad » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 pm

I have a lot of experience with the various different monoprice hdmi extenders over cat5. The "passive" (non-powered) solutions are generally very poor, especially at 1080p. The wall-plates you linked are an example of a passive solution. The "active" (powered) solutions are much better. In this arena, you have three basic options. If you need to go through patch cables and or patch panels, I highly recommend HDBaseT. Otherwise, I recommend the HDMI over 2xcat6 solutions.

1. HDMI over 2x Cat5/Cat6 (Rated to ~196ft)
- Advantages: Cheap; generally reliable if you're using a single straight through cable or minimal intermediate connectors
- Disadvantages: Requires two cables; Unreliable if routed through multiple patch cables
- Example: Monoprice PID 6532
- Note: I have not used this exact monoprice PID. I used an older, similar PID and my experience is based on that product.
2. HDMI over 1x Cat5/Cat6 (Rated to ~164 ft)
- Advantages: Uses 1 cable; Less expensive than HDBaseT; generally reliable if you're using a single straight through cable or minimal intermediate connectors
- Disadvantages: Corruption (sparkles, drop-outs, etc) is more likely than a HDBaseT solution; Unreliable if routed through multiple patch cables
- Example: Monoprice PID 8158 and 8159
3. HDBaseT (HDMI over 1x Cat5/Cat6) (Rated to ~328 ft)
- Advantages: Uses 1 cable; Reliable, even through patch panels (to some extent)
- Disadvantages: Cost - much more expensive ($200 even at monoprice, $400+ from other manufacturers)
- Example: Monoprice PID 8123 and 8122

Note that all of the distance ratings are based on a single length of cable. (i.e., no terminations, patch cables, etc).