Windows intermittent "no Internet" message

Talk about setting up your home network.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:12 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I'd like to add another extender that serves a TV by the hot tub, and my wife would like one in the kitchen. We can only run five extenders simultaneously (unless someone comes up with "extender salad"), so if I add two more extenders, we'll have to compromise...
That's five extenders turned on and active simultaneously. Do you really do that?

You may have more set up and identified and ready to go, but only five active at the same time.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:18 am

I currently run four of them simultaneously on occasion. This will become commonplace once the Echo becomes a better solution... because I'll disconnect all of the TV's from the coax line... forcing everyone to use an extender. If I add one to the kitchen and one to the back porch, then yes... it will be possible/likely to run all six simultaneously.

And, I don't know if you noticed, but the primary purpose of this thread is to find a switch that serves my purposes.

Cup

Post by Cup » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:07 am

If you're still looking for input on that:

After I had yet another Linksys/Cisco SD2008 (8-port Gb switch) die on me (at least the second one that's puked here), I decided that it was time to step up the hardware a bit. (This was around 8 months ago, I think.)
(Previously, the SD2008 tied the Media Center, HDHomeruns, and Extenders together; the house's backbone was via a Linksys SD216 (16-port 10/100 switch.)

Enter a TrendNet 16-port Gb switch that I picked up at Micro Center.
Works well, stable, great throughput, rack-mountable (if I want.) Me likey.
-Cup
~~Nearly every day of my life is some kind of computer hell....

Click here for my system specs

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:31 pm

I have been using a TrendNet Green switch for a couple of years now. Seems to be pretty reliable. No issues. We have 4 network tuners, 5 extenders, 4 computers, 3 wireless bridges, and an HTPC connected to it, along with electric power monitoring system (unwasteNY pilot program).

I did mount an 80 mm fan on the side of it, as a precaution, even though it was not even getting warm.