Home and Remote Site Setup

Talk about setting up your home network.
socbrian

HTPC Specs: Show details

Home and Remote Site Setup

Post by socbrian » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:22 am

Let me off saying that I have a pretty large "home" network already. I want to expand this network with TV / DVR capabilities. My setup is that my "Home" is in NJ where there is 1 desktop, 3+ windows laptops, a slingbox and a server. The server is being used as a file server, PLEX server, VPN server, and a Print server. It is running 2003 server because it is a older computer just being repurposed. Then I have a shore house also in NJ where there is no computers unless we bring the laptops. I have a router running dd-wrt where I can turn on the vpn with the router so the shore house internet is routed through the server at my home. Next is my apartment in NC where I have a desktop and a macbook. To vpn to the server I have to use a VPN client on each of the machines, because at this site the router is not compatible with dd-wrt (no big deal). And next is my brothers apartment in VA. He has only one windows laptop and he can VPN into the server via a client also.

Ok so this is what my current infrastructure is, and I want to add streaming live tv feature to it. I already have the slingbox, but it is a solo so no HD. oh btw HD is a MUST. and slingbox is limited to one connection. I need at least two stream, and do not want to buy a new slingbox. I have been looking into a ceton infinitv 4, but not sure if that will work over a VPN and how can I stream on my Macbook. Also, I know that if I go that route I can't use windows server 2003 or that computer, so I would use the desktop at my "Home" and that will cover the required specs for ceton cards.

So overall, I am looking for a IPTV solution that can be use with windows 7, xbox 360, OSx Lion, and iPhone.

Thanks

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:53 pm

socbrian wrote:I have been looking into a ceton infinitv 4, but not sure if that will work over a VPN and how can I stream on my Macbook.
Consider the HDHomerun Prime which is a triple network based tuner. There is an article about how to use it over a VPN.

http://www.phreefi.com/2012/01/accessin ... -from.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

duffman984

Post by duffman984 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:40 pm

A lot of this setup is going to be based on your primary location's upload speed. I have a 2MB upload from my house and remote streaming over VPN is really only stable for SD. I tried streaming over VPN from our beach house which is about 250 miles away and at that point SD was a little choppy too. I never traced the traffic but I'm guessing there were too many hops between the locations to keep a stable enough connection to stream.

SinisterEngr

Post by SinisterEngr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 pm

To echo duffman984, a typical (for me anyway) HD stream from my cable co. is ~15Mbits/s. So, for a stable stream I imagine you would want to have > 20Mbit upstream bandwidth from your source location (double that if you want two simultaneous streams).

The one advantage to a slingbox style setup is that it constantly monitors your network bandwidth and adjusts the bit-rate of the stream on the fly to compensate, thus always giving you the best PQ your connection can support.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Without transcoding down to something more reasonable than the 4 to 8 megs for mpeg4 or 8 to 25 for mpeg2 you'll need a fat pipe to deal with it. You'll also be at the mercy of the quality of the physical transport between the 2 end points.

Something like the wifes office connection. Apparently Comcast does some nice things for business class customers.

Autobahn

Post by Autobahn » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Has anyone tried this further?

I am too looking to use one of my WHS2011 hosted tuners (Ceton) on an Extender (xbox360) via a VPN. Bandwidth is plenty with a 35mbit up on the one side and 50 down on the other. I have spent time Googling but cannot find a report that says this is technically possible - never mind finding instructions on how to do it.

VPN connection is established via Windows means (WHS on the host and W7 machine on the LAN of the Xbox). However, I believe my dd-wrt would be able to do this more direct if necessary.

Any hints, tips or whether this is possible? :)