Slow Network?

Talk about setting up your home network.

Slow Network?

Post#1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm having an intermittent problem where bluray playback stuters in WMC when said movie is being played from my server WMC Win 7 box to a client Win 7 WMC Box. This happens in WMC, Emby for WMC, and various emby clients. My network configuration goes as folllows, and hopefully someone see something wierd here that they can point out. I haves setup a few different folders as network shares by using the network sharing wizard, and then mapped them as local drives on my client. Thats it, no homegroup or anything like that on any of my machines. Now one thing that baffles me is when I created the network shares I did so using the sharing wizard built into windows 7 but my test client, which is a Win 10 machine, still told me I did not have access to those shares, and they had all had a lock icon next to their folders. In order to solve this problem I had to right click the folder, then go to properties/sharing/advanced sharing and check the share this folder box in order for the lock icon to go away. From here I mapped all the drives as local drives on my win 7 client. What could I be doing wrong.
jachin99

Post#2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:13 am

I run a fairly simple network. Everything is gig going into a 24 port gig switch. All the workstations have a name an are members of the same workgroup. No mapped drives, no network sharing wizard.

Just plain old WMC sharing through libraries. Example...if you have 2 WMC's on the network, all 2 share everything they have. Then when you setup libraries on each one you path each one to each one.

Go to WMC/Tasks/Settings/MediaLibraries

WMC1 shares D:\RecordedTV
WMC2 shares D:\RecordedTV

When you setup wmc2 to see wmc1, libraries will ask you where your stash is...

1-on this computer and mapped drives attached to this computer
2-on a different computer
3-manually add a shared folder will give you the option for username and password as well as setting the network path.

I have never tried sharing my DVD or BlueRay Drives, but if I was going to try, I would map them and share them in WMC using option 1- above
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#3 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:16 pm

I had setup an AP on one of my machines for testing, and forgot it was there. I disabled the AP last night, and It improved bluray playback well enough to make it useable. What I can't figure out is why I have so much trouble accessing media from windows 7 on my win 10 laptop.
jachin99

Post#4 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:13 am

Sorry. I just re-read this. You at least share the libraries right
jachin99

Post#5 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:19 am

jachin99 wrote:Sorry. I just re-read this. You at least share the libraries right
Both PC's need to be members of the same workgroup. On mine, I use one admin account which is the same for both. Admin1 logs into both machines. I'll see if I can dig up my suggested Network Setup.

Here is a bit I wrote on sharing libraries.... Do the same on both WMC's....When you set them up WMC1 will point to its own AND also WMC2...WMC2 both as well

viewtopic.php?p=106171#p106171

Complete WMC Setup Custom starts here....

viewtopic.php?p=106151#p106151

Here is the Network Setup that I use....

viewtopic.php?p=99015#p99015

If you need it...here is where you change the PC name and workgroup

FileManager\RightClickComputer\Properties

If you use HomeGroup, yer on yer own.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#6 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks for the info, and I believe I have solved my problems, and I'll kind of go back over everything just to summarize what I did in case someone else has the same issue. My Primary problem was that large media files were having trouble playing over the network, and I solved this by disabling a WIfI hotspot that had been enabled on my client machine. This must have freed up just enough bandwidth to play buray files across the network. My second problem was I could not access folders on a Win 7 server from a Win 10 client which was solved by giving NETWORK, and NETWORK SERVICE permissions to my shared folders.

Crash as you suggested, it seems to me that as long as each machine is a part of the same workgroup then setting up library sharing, or sharing network drives through either the advanced sharing wizard, or the network sharing wizard (by either setting up the folders to be shared so they are grouped into a library which is then shared - via the network sharing wizard or advanced sharing but more on that later - OR by creating file shares from the folders themselves through the advanced sharing wizard or network sharing wizard) then each machine will see the other's shared resources. I can only assume that my Win 10 machine did not get assigned to the same workgroup as my Win 7 but I don't remember ever explicitly joining a workgroup on any machine ever. IT should be noted that Windows machines come assigned to some workgroup out of the box.

Windows 7 has quite a few options for sharing media, drives, and folders, and it also has different options for assigning "groups" such as homegroup, and workgroup. On top of these options there are libraries, which as far as I can tell a library is just a tool to view multiple folders from one shortcut, and don't actually play any role in how permissions are assigned and files or folders are actually shared. I believe that two methods Windows 7 actually uses to share things are via the network sharing wizard or the advanced sharing wizard, and every other option, view, explorer context menu option, etc are built off of one of these two. Viewing Windows sharing through this perspective simplifies things because it removes the layers of branding Microsoft has layed over the actual protocols windows uses to share things. On top of all of this, we also have the option to map network drives as local drives in order to improve performance BUT this will actually cause programs to crash if they have to access that drive and it isn't available. Here is an explanation of the differences between the different sharing wizards from https://superuser.com/questions/897180/ ... 200/985536.

"The 'Basic' sharing dialog does not apply any permissions on the share level.

Instead it defaults share-level security to allow all and any permissions you set are applied directly to the underlying filesystem. All ACLs are parsed in turn so by setting share-level permissions to allow
everything just means control gets deferred to the filesystem itself.

The reasons for this are simple - so there is just one set of permissions to manage and the same rules are applied to both local and remote access. This is to avoid any conflicts and confusion for basic users. It is
the "basic"/"home user" option after all.

The the "Advanced Sharing" option for administrators applies an additional level of share-level permissions that only act on remote/network access.

This allows advanced users to apply an additional level of access control for network access only, but does not apply any rules to the filesystem itself. As with all ACLs, users must pass both sets of permissions to
gain access so giving users access to the share, but not the filesystem, would not work - hence why this option is protected behind an "Advanced" button "

There was actually a pretty in depth article about all of this from the How To Geek right here https://www.howtogeek.com/school/window ... g/lesson1/

So to summarize everything I just said above there are...
Libraries which are a way to view multiple folders through one click or shortcut
The network sharing wizard which is enabled by default and applies permissions at the folder level
The advanced sharing wizard which has to be enabled in win 7 folder options, and applies permissions at the share level
My Windows 10 machine was not added to the WIn 7 Workgroup and I could not view shared folders on my Win 7 machine. To get around this I gave NETWORK and NETWORK SERVICE permissions to read or write permissions to the shared folders. I'll probably go back, setup libraries, and use the one of the two sharing wizards above later to make things simpler. Also be aware that out of the box, when you right click and share, and unless it specifically states advanced sharing, you are using the "sharing wizard" as in your applying the network sharing wizard's permissions levels. I hope I didn't just confuse the heck out of everyone.
jachin99

Return to Networking / Windows Home Server