Backup recommendations

Talk about setting up your home network.
jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Backup recommendations

Post by jachin99 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:27 pm

I have a Win 7 machine that I use for server duties. I want to use the machine for extender use, and I also have emby server installed on this machine. This is where I store all of my media files, and I would also like to use it for backups as well. I have three machines I would like to store backups for on this one machine, using tools that come with windows if possible. I have created three hard drive partitions that are 40 gigs each, and I want to create OS backups, not backups for my media libraries. Can I use each of these partitions for Windows backups using windows tools or do I need more space/different software? What is the best way to accomplish my goals?

Thanks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:20 am

I use the System Image tool included with Win7 or Win10...just type (system image) into Help or Cortana

The only complaint I have using (above) is manually making a folder so the backup is not overwriting the last backup.

example:

Win7Box/2017-05-17/SystemImage10

Win7Box/2017-05-16/SystemImage09

Etc.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:06 pm

How much space do you set aside for each backup, and how many do you keep? I'm thinking a baseline image with all the software installed the machine needs to do its job, and a recent image that I can roll back to in case something goes wrong. Do you backup your epg if your on EPG 123?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 am

I was using WHS 2011 or 2012, (i forget ATM) for the weekly, monthly, etc backups. At present that one is down.

I didn't set any limits on that one, it just re-wrote over top (append) of the last backup. PM Scallica for advice.

I do several System Images during a new build...

1 just the OS
2 O/S with all drivers
3 O/S with all updates
4 WMC with Live TV
5 WMC fully dressed

Final Image on HD, DVD, and BlueRay

Not sure what to use with EPG123...

I use GuideTool with Rovi.

Seans WMC backup for Series

Increase your System Restore size to MAX...

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:42 pm

I use WHS 2011 and it works like a charm. Actually just had to use an image for my htpc as some of my task files for wmc got corrupted which was messing up my recordings. 30 minutes and I was back up and running. The server backs up everything for me... images of OS drives on every computer in my house, 18 TB of media storage on my htpc, and 12 TB of games from my mame arcade. I have it running on a little SoC Celeron with an SSD for the main drive, one drive for is backups, and a bunch of 3tb drives pooled for everything else.

Fairly cheap considering I don't have to worry about losing anything.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:26 am

I mainly do OS drive only. I would regret losing all my media but, to back up 10+ gb to hard drives even with compression means a lot of space that I don't have sitting around. The OS drive is a great option as NO MEDIA is stored on that drive but all configurations are. If Windows dies for some reason, within 20-25 min I could have it restored from last Friday at 2am. It's happened a few times and never failed me.

This will bring back, Windows Config,, drivers, custom hardware, Windows Media Center config, applications, Emulation station config and game lists, Custom scripts that run each week (reboot, time sync every day, guide updates 2 times a day, and many more automated tasks) even a custom menu that I made to run tools for WMC.

I do Weekly backups (a must if you have cablecards) I use Acronis and schedule them to back up each week and keep up to 4. I also have system images from Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 on my HTPC where I can restore and they will be working perfectly (well besides the Comcast channel change mess that I am going work on). On my current OS, it will back up to 4 weeks then delete the oldest ones.

The OS drive is about 60gb with only about 25-30gb used, with highest compression it takes about 10-12gb for each backup

Once a month do S.M.A.R.T. checks on all my drives to make sure it's in good heath.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012