Backup recommendations

Talk about setting up your home network.

Backup recommendations

Post#1 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:27 pm

I have a Win 7 machine that I use for server duties. I want to use the machine for extender use, and I also have emby server installed on this machine. This is where I store all of my media files, and I would also like to use it for backups as well. I have three machines I would like to store backups for on this one machine, using tools that come with windows if possible. I have created three hard drive partitions that are 40 gigs each, and I want to create OS backups, not backups for my media libraries. Can I use each of these partitions for Windows backups using windows tools or do I need more space/different software? What is the best way to accomplish my goals?

Thanks.
jachin99

Post#2 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:20 am

I use the System Image tool included with Win7 or Win10...just type (system image) into Help or Cortana

The only complaint I have using (above) is manually making a folder so the backup is not overwriting the last backup.

example:

Win7Box/2017-05-17/SystemImage10

Win7Box/2017-05-16/SystemImage09

Etc.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#3 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:06 pm

How much space do you set aside for each backup, and how many do you keep? I'm thinking a baseline image with all the software installed the machine needs to do its job, and a recent image that I can roll back to in case something goes wrong. Do you backup your epg if your on EPG 123?
jachin99

Post#4 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 am

I was using WHS 2011 or 2012, (i forget ATM) for the weekly, monthly, etc backups. At present that one is down.

I didn't set any limits on that one, it just re-wrote over top (append) of the last backup. PM Scallica for advice.

I do several System Images during a new build...

1 just the OS
2 O/S with all drivers
3 O/S with all updates
4 WMC with Live TV
5 WMC fully dressed

Final Image on HD, DVD, and BlueRay

Not sure what to use with EPG123...

I use GuideTool with Rovi.

Seans WMC backup for Series

Increase your System Restore size to MAX...
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Return to Networking / Windows Home Server